Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launched at Buzz's yesterday at 4pm in search of redfish and breaking blues. I got my boat in the water at the start of the ebb, and the water temp was 70 degrees. I trolled a small bucktail around in the creek and casted a Gulp grub around at fishy-looking areas where there were reeds near the water line. I only got a few hits that didn't materialize into anything, so I headed out to the mouth of the creek. I don't recommend fishing that area on an ebb tide because the current moves really fast. Even in the shallow water, I can barely make headway with my Hobie and the ST (non-turbo) fins. More importantly, ebb tide + 10mph east wind + creek mouth= super-confused water with frequent, tightly-packed 2-foot waves. Unfortunately, the best fishing was in the confused water. I caught a 17" striper and two 15" blues right off the bat. After that, there were about 5 boats all trying to fish that area. Some were motoring into the mouth then drifting out while jigging, and others were holding position and casting or jigging. I couldn't figure out the pattern, so I mostly stayed out of it and fished about 100ft south of the mouth where the water was calmer. I caught some more small blues, about 12-14" on a small Chug Bug. I made some occasional forays back into the rough water, but it was too stressful trying to fish, keep out of people's way, and deal with the current and waves. I trolled a #15 Pet spoon around in the calmer water out to the second green marker but didn't have any hits, which was very unusual. Beyond the second green marker, the water was rougher than I wanted to deal with. I didn't see any signs of breaker while I was out there. I started heading back to the dock at 7, and I scared a couple of big things in the shallows right in the creek mouth. I casted around a bit but they wouldn't bite. Grrr...

There are lots of shallow, reedy areas that probably hold redfish. One of the tough things about fishing that area is deciding what to fish for. There's good white perch fishing in the creek, and maybe redfish. At the mouth, there are stripers and blues as well as redfish and flounder. It's hard to commit to one technique when you might catch something else doing something different. The grass is always greener...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Nice Report, Bill,
I have two questions. What is the paddling distance from Buzz’s to the bay?
You said the water temp was 70F. Was the water temp from the fish-finder? I use a portable outdoor thermometer for the water temp. The only times the water temp on my fish-finder was accurate were that when the air temp is lower than the water temp and it was very cloudy day (no Sun at all).

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joe,

It's a little over 1.5 miles from Buzz's Marina to the mouth of the creek. There's an alternative launch from Fresh Pond Neck Rd, which I haven't checked out first hand, but I can see the ramp from the water. That launch is at a primo white perch spot and knocks off about 0.5 miles (see pic). I usually launch at Buzz's since I get good info there, it's only $5 for kayaks, and there's a bathroom, ice, bait, etc. Also, the slight bit of time it would save to launch from the other spot isn't worth the cost of driving my truck to get there. One thing I like about launching from there is there's lots of options because the fishing in the creek can be pretty good if the Bay is too rough. There's lots of good drop offs that you can see in the pic that would probably hold flounder, but I haven't explored many of them. The Bay bottom outside of the creek mouth seems pretty uniform until you get way out by the channel.

The water temp I gave in this report this time was from my transducer near the end of the evening. I usually have a hand-held temperature-salinity meter that I borrow from work, but I keep forgetting it lately. Normally, you're right that the temp from the transducer is off, but I've checked the transducer temp against the temperature salinity meter. After a couple hours in the water (more in the summer), the two agree completely. I normally fish in the evenings, so there's no really bright sun to heat up my kayak, and I try to park with my kayak in the shade so it doesn't get hot/UV-damaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I will launch from Buzz’s because I assume fresh water is available to rinse my wetsuits (from now on) along with restroom. Perhaps I try the creek before the end of October, before the creek water gets too cold. The reason I asked you about the water temp is that I want to catch some spots for live baits. The water temp of 70 will almost guarantee catching spots. I want to catch some spots before I hit the Bay. Then I paddle out to East a half mile and try for flukes in 12-20’ of water. I can also try for stripers in 25-33’ of water (to SE from the mouth of the creek). Like you said, if the wind is too strong, I can stay in the creek for white perch.
Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks, Jay
I still have some boaters’ mentality - got to fish in deep and wide water. I’ve been learning fishing small areas and structures for a year and I have not caught stripers in these areas yet. I am changing my plan. I will try the creek for stripers at least 4 hours if I can fish this weekend.
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts