Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get to fish in the nice weather we had during the week, so I went today. I had been hoping to do some perch fishing, but all the wind we had on Saturday blew the water out of Allen's Fresh and the St. Mary's River. :(( I settled on fishing for bass, pickerel, and crappie at St. Mary's Lake. I only caught a few little bass:

The first one I caught on a 3/8oz Cicada while jigging on some bottom marks:

The second one I caught trolling the Norman Little Deep N that Joe (Friday) gave me. I foul hooked a third bass that was about the same size as the first on the Cicada.

I tried jigging the Cicada and various curly tail grubs around standing timber for crappie but didn't have any hits. I also threw a variety of pickerel lures with no luck. The bass were super lethargic and didn't fight at all. All fish were caught in 15-20ft of water. I fished for crappie in 10-20ft of water and pickerel in 2-10ft. The water temp was just over 46*. So far, I've caught a fish in every month this year. :pp

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Good report.

I spent lots of time in St Mary's Lake. This time of year I always did well off the points in deeper water and sometimes near the rocks or the culvert at the base of the dam.

Have you been able to catch yellow perch yet in the St Mary's? I went to college and targeted them for four years this time of year but never could catch them. I fished way up a whole bunch to try to catch them and could not get them. It would be great if they started showing up there finally.

Talking to locals, I am unclear if there used to be a run there nor not. I will say we did very well there on the croaker in the spring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
St. mary's perch

I would also be interested in local wisdom in regards to St Mary's river perch. I know a local guy who says he has caught lots of Pickerel in the stretch just down from the trailer park on Adkins rd.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne--Actually, my batting average is 0.500. I had a couple skunks I didn't report. I always experiment with different places in the winter to try to find alternative perch spots, but I always seem to go too early. :rolleyes:

Francis and Kevin--That's the section of the lake that I always fish. There seems to be lots of suspended fish there, but I can't seem to catch anything over about 14". These fish were pretty typical of the bass I catch there, but I hear about are 3-5 pounders getting caught relatively regularly. I also can't seem to find a pickerel over 16". noidea

I haven't fished the St. Mary's River yet this year or last year. I did a couple trips the year before. I launched in at the kayak/canoe launch in Great Mills, floated past the trailer park for a bit to where the river really opens up, then pulled out at the trailer park. I caught some little bass, a few sunfish, and a couple yellow perch in some holes behind the businesses on Rt. 5. That section is kind of nasty, but I didn't have any luck downstream of there. A lot of the river was pretty shallow when I went--much shallower than Allen's Fresh, and I probably could've seen them if there were a lot of perch there. The bottom was pretty uniformly flat, and there wasn't much brush or many tree limbs in the water for the perch to spawn on. The water started getting saltier pretty quick downstream of the trailer park. The yellows probably wouldn't spawn there, but they might stage in that area. It looks like a lot of people fish in that area by the trailer park, so there might be a run of some sort.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What type of carrier do you use for your Revolution? I had made a PVC one that worked well but I broke it over the winter. I don't really need a fold-up portable carrier. Have you seen the ones that stick in the scupper holes?

Nice fishing trip!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ware Fisher--I use a Hobie cart with the 24cm polyurethane Wheeleez wheels. The cart frame is an older model that's narrow enough for me to fit it with the wheels off in the front hatch. The newer cart is wider, and I don't think it'll fit in the front hatch. Those small PU wheels are good on both sand and pavement. Wheeleez also makes 22cm PVC wheels, but don't bother with those because they often leak and tear easily. I had to shop around to find the old style cart, which might be tough to find now.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bill, I work long hours again so I barely sleep this week. So I will turn in my report later. I went to Occoquan River and I caught one small bass. All day I saw two bass and one yellow perch caught. But I met Jay, the king crappie. He went for Crappie because YP weren't there but I kept trying for YP. He wasn't kidding when he posted about catching crappie. Jay caught a strigerfull of crappie. And his crappie are BIG. I mean BIG. My jaw dropped when I saw a stringerfull of large crappie. He showed me his lures and technique for crappie. And he also gave me 5 crappie so I ate crappie first time. Crappie are also very good eating I learned. Oneday let's fish Occoquan river for crappie. I ordered two bottles of Smelly Jelly for two kayakers. And I will use 4'6" rods. When Jay said 4'6" rod on some threads, he meant 4'6" rods. Nexttime I goto Occoquan, I know I will catch many big crappie.

joe

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
That is a pretty lake with all the pine trees surrounding it and little shore line development.It looks like good Pickerel territory to me.I've never fished it.Now would be the time to catch some pickerel there.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sam--That's my winter hat. It even has earflaps. The only downside is it doesn't come in any obnoxious colors. :D

Joe--I've been wanting to hit the Occoquan for a while now. I can't remember the last time I caught a crappie, and I haven't caught many that were as big as the ones Jay catches. I found some Smelly Jelly at Greentop in Richmond, but it wasn't the right, uh, flavor. This weekend is looking clear, and I should be able to fish during the week from March 5th through the 12th. Let me know when you get some time off.

Nick--St. Mary's Lake is really nice. There are only a few spots where you can see houses, and there aren't many signs of the outside world. I usually hit St. Mary's for my pickerel fix when I don't have time to go to the Severn. I haven't been able to find any over 16" during all my trips, and I haven't caught any at all on my last two outings. I'm not sure what's going on, but I hope I haven't lost my pickerel mojo. :help:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bill,
I am heading for Occoquan Regional Park. Power outage was scheduled tomorrow at my work, so I got a day off. I received 2 containers of Smelly Jelly from Amazon.com. I didn't have time to buy two 4'6" rods so I will be bringing kiddie rods.

Joe 703-282-3816

1 - 13 of 13 Posts