Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting My 6pack License Course Tommorow At Tcc, Doing It In One Shot. Any Insght Or Tips Would Be Appriciated....

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you pay attention it wont be a problem. Great way to take it, fast and furious.. Its worth staying for the masters if you have time !

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took the same course it is very imformative. Just remember to take your time and read the questions carefully, remember that its a Coast Guard test so they like to trick ya. Especially the words (may, might,shall and must) they will fool ya if you dont pay attention. Also the rules of the road this is were they require thorough reading. Good Luck..

·
Registered
993 Posts
Good advise was given above. I took the same course. VERY IMPORTANT!!! DON"T miss any classes because they are not easy to make up at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Take your time and be there for the classes.

Shoot the class is not hard but the Paperwork will KICK YOUR BUTT! Start getting it together today.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Lots of homework, I'm going at night through TCC, if you work full time and are doing this in the day course, good luck, and don't miss a class.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Study, study, study. Who is your instructor? If you have Bob Volbreit your in excellent hands. He is an absolute blast. He makes it very understandable. Good luck to you and study hard.

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get the " Rules of the Road " handbook and memorize the whole thing. You will need to know everything in that book. Also, take Her Money's advice, there are a lot of trick questions. Read the questions out a couple of times before answering. Good Luck

Capt Bart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the post, but does anybody know how or if they take into account time spent on watch as either Conning Officer and or OOD on Navy ships? Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I agree with UnReel - Most all the instrcutors there are great and Bob Volbreicht is excellent. My advice is start your paperwork as soon as you can so that you have it ready in soon after completing the course. I took the course 2 years ago and found it useful investment of time and $$$. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

ReelTimeCapt, USCG Captain - OUPV

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the post, but does anybody know how or if they take into account time spent on watch as either Conning Officer and or OOD on Navy ships? Thanks.
Not sure if this has changed since I did it back in the last century.... :)

You need a Transcript of Sea Service. I got mine from BUPERS back in 1989. It will list on an official form all the periods you were assigned to sea duty. You submit that with an explanation of what your duties were on each vessel (I submitted copies of redacted Fitness Reports), as part of your application for a Merchant Marine License. It will be reviewed at the Regional Examination Center and you will be notified how many days they will credit you with (it is a percentage of time assigned to the vessel), and what license(s) you are eligible to sit for.

Again, not sure how the rules may have changed. If you graduated from either the Merchant Marine Academy, or the Naval Academy, you are eligible to sit for a License as Third Mate - simply based on graduation. If you went to a real school (as I did - North Carolina State University), then you need THREE YEARS (1080 days) to sit for Third Mate. Each subsequent upgrade requires an additional 360 days credit.

I never had an OUPV - started with an Inspected License as Operator of Small Passenger Vessels, Auxiliary Sail, in 1985. I needed 540 days credit to get that license, based on my own vessel experience. In 1989, I submitted my Transcript of Sea Service and all the supporting paperwork. I was given credit for 2,080 days watchstanding on U.S. Navy ships (yes, I spent a LOT of time at sea) - just 80 days short of an original Unlimited Master's License. I sat for Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited (four days of exams), and a month later sat for Master, Oceans, 1600-Tons.

Good luck to you, and to cbdaddy as he starts his OUPV studies.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited Tonnage.
Radar Observer

·
Registered
286 Posts
I went through the Chesapeake Marine Training Institue in Hayes.

http://www.chesapeakemarineinst.com/

A little more expensive but they grease your paper work through for you.

They test on site and if you mess up they will work with you in areas that you need help and retest you.

Red Right Return (that only works if you can figure out if you are returning)

·
Registered
12 Posts
OCNSLR,
My background may be a little diffrent then yours. I am an Engineering LDO, enlisted in 1984 and commissioned in 1999. My sea ticker is a month shy of 14 years. I only have 3 years topside watchstanding time, the rest is propulsion plant or auxilaries related. I guess I'll have to put together a package of my sea duty assignments, fitreps and evals and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
as has been said,Study RULES,you can only miss 3 questions.If you are not too familiar with Nav. and Plot,work on that as well.it is not that the Questions are "trick"It is reading the questions for what it is asking.The rest is downhill....until the paperwork.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you going to have to go to Baltimore to submit your fingerprints or will you be submiting all of your paperwork fom here? Mine is due next month and the word is that you will have to make a trip to MD in person.

·
Registered
315 Posts
they always said you could just send it in, but everyone i talked to strongly recommended to go in person.....I went to Balt in person and it was quite easy other than driving up/back.....go to local police to get fingerprints, much easier if you ask me.....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Directly from their site,I'll get the link

Where can I renew my U.S. mariner credential(s)?
You may apply for renewal at any of the 17 Coast Guard Regional Examination Centers (RECs). You must satisfy requirements for renewal including the completion of an application form and payment of user fees. All of these requirements are described in this guide. To see a list of RECs and their locations, click here.

Can I renew my credential by mail?
You may renew by mail by submitting all of the required paperwork and fees to one of the RECs listed above. Please ensure that all supporting paperwork is original documents or certified copies (certified by the agency that issued the original credential.) However, you will have to appear at an REC for ID verification and fingerprinting.
http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/downloads.htm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts