Tidal Fish Forum banner

Starting Jan.1 ,2010 Maryland Anglers will need to Register with NOAA Before Fishing

Good Information 
17K views 72 replies 43 participants last post by  rinky.dink 
#1 ·
Starting Jan. 1, 2010, Maryland Anglers will need register for free online or by calling a toll-free phone number.

This requirement is an essential part of a national commitment to effectively manage saltwater fish populations. The registry will allow fishermen and policy makers to work together to assess the contributions and impacts of saltwater anglers on ocean ecosystems, coastal economies and fish populations. Since the requirement includes anyone who may catch an anadromous species (fish that travel between salt and fresh waters), anyone fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, its tributaries and coastal waters, must be registered.

"According to a recent NOAA Fisheries Survey, saltwater anglers had an overall economic impact of $82 billion and generated more than half a million jobs nationwide," said Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Fisheries Service Director Tom O'Connell. "It's only appropriate that recreational anglers be counted and thereby have a substantial impact on the management and health of coastal fish stocks."
This initiative, known as the Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP), is designed to produce accurate information that will help determine the condition of fish stocks. This data will allow anglers, fisheries managers and others to effectively and fairly set strategies for ensuring the long-term sustainability of recreational fishing in salt waters.

DNR expects at the beginning of fishing in 2011, the Maryland fishing license will accommodate the requirements for the National Saltwater Registry. But, for 2010, anglers must all register directly with NOAA.

Anglers who do not need to register are those under 16 years old, anglers fishing on a charter boat, commercial fishermen at work, anglers holding highly migratory species permits, and anglers who hold a saltwater license from a state where they are automatically registered. Anglers fishing in one of Maryland's Free Fishing areas or who are otherwise exempt from buying a Maryland fishing license still need to register with NOAA.
The process is simple and free of charge. On or after January 1, go online here or call 1-888-MRIP-411 (888-674-7411)

index.php?categoryid=15More Fishing News Here forums/

See less See more
#4 ·
Brandon, Maryland is listed as a "Red" state in the NOAA registration guidelines. According to the guidelines, the red state's license process will automatically register MD (and VA) anglers for them. Hence, why do you say we still need to independantly do so??? Won't this encourage double counting?

#6 ·
Captrichie. . . I would bet that Brandon got that from DNR, VMRC has the following on their web site.

Chef. . . that is a good question. Below is the actual law. The way that I see it item (b)2 says that you don't.

unless that person . . . (2) Holds a valid fishing license issued by, or is registered by, an exempted state;

From VMRC

December 18, 2009: The new National Saltwater Angler Registry will be launched by the federal government on Jan. 1, 2010 and will require virtually all saltwater recreational anglers in the United States (including Virginia) to call each year and register. The program is an effort to build a complete and accurate "phonebook" to better contact anglers to obtain catch information directly from them. Registration can be done through a toll-free number, 1-888-674-7411, or online at www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov. Anglers will be required to provide their names, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers, and the regions where they intend to fish, although they will not be restricted to fishing only in those regions and will not be required to register separately for each region in which they fish. There will be no charge to register until 2011, at which point an annual registration fee of about $25 a year will apply. All fees collected through this federal program will go to the U.S. treasury.

Those exempted from Registry requirements are: anglers under the age of 16; those who only fish on licensed charter, party or guide boats; hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling permit; or hold and are fishing under a valid commercial or subsistence fishing license or permit. The National Saltwater Angler Registry is a federal, not state, requirement. State fishing license fees will continue to be required. For more information on the Registry, please go to www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov. A Virginia Marine Resources Commission report to the General Assembly on the subject can be found in the following document: <SJR 397 Report>

Federal rule regarding registry.

§ 600.1405 Angler registration.

(a) Effective January 1, 2010, the requirements of this section apply to any person who does any of the following:
(1) Engages in angling or spearfishing for:
(i) Fish in the EEZ;
(ii) Anadromous species in any tidal waters; or
(iii) Continental Shelf fishery resources beyond the EEZ.
(2) Operates a for-hire fishing vessel in the EEZ.
(3) Operates a for-hire fishing vessel that engages in angling or spearfishing for:
(i) Anadromous species in any tidal waters; or
(ii) Continental shelf fishery resources beyond the EEZ.
(4) Possesses equipment used for angling or spearfishing and also possesses:
(i) Fish in the EEZ;
(ii) Anadromous species in any tidal waters; or
(iii) Continental shelf fishery resources beyond the EEZ.

(b) No person may engage in the activities listed in paragraph (a) of this section unless that person:
(1) Has registered annually with NMFS in accordance with §600.1410 of this part;
(2) Holds a valid fishing license issued by, or is registered by, an exempted state;
(3) Is a resident of an exempted state, but is not required to hold a fishing license, or to be registered to fish, under the laws of that state;
(4) Holds a permit issued by NMFS for for-hire fishing under 50 CFR 622.4(a)(1), 635.4(b), 648.4(a), or 660.70(a)(1);
(5) Is under the age of 16;
(6) Is angling aboard a for-hire fishing vessel that is in compliance with NMFS and state for-hire vessel permit, license or registration requirements;
(7) Holds a commercial fishing license or permit issued by NMFS or a state and is lawfully fishing or in possession of fish taken under the terms and conditions of such license or permit;
(8) Holds an HMS Angling permit under 50 CFR 635.4(c);
(9) Holds a subsistence fishing license or permit issued by NMFS or a state and is lawfully fishing or in possession of fish taken under the terms and conditions of such license or permit; or
(10) Is angling or spearfishing for, or operating a for-hire fishing vessel that engages in fishing for, anadromous species or Continental Shelf fishery resources, in waters under the control of a foreign nation.
(c) Any angler or spear fisher or operator of a for-hire vessel must, on request of an authorized officer, produce the NMFS registration number and certificate or evidence that such person or for-hire vessel operator is exempt from the registration requirement pursuant to §600.1405(b)(2) through §600.1405(b)(10).

#7 ·
--Tom You came to Deale once it's my time to make the ride-- I need your help in my Wire gill tag Effort --Can ya pm me , so we can get a Group together , Like Dr. Julie & Pres of any what your Consider important group in Va.--I'd like to make a Informal Presentation --geo.

#10 · (Edited)
I understand the need to collect the information the feds are asking for. However, the State of Maryland is going to charge you next year it’s a money grab by DNR/State. They saw that the feds were going to charge a fee for the registration which was written in the fed program to cover the administrative cost of the program only. Maryland said waits a minute. We can keep this money in house AKA DNR/ Maryland. Feds were going to make Maryland anglers pay anyway, so we can administer our own so called collection compliance program and charge Maryland angler to comply with the fed mandate and keep the cash for ourselves. Yes I believe Maryland already has most of our information to begin with when we buy our license. Now they see a way to charge those extra people /family members on our boat that were covered under the consolidated boat lic. $$$$$$ DNR/ MARYLND needs some more and you are going to fork it up. They are going to use a smoke screen of compliance with the feds and better numbers for conservation this is the rational they will use to force feed us the fee.

I see this like the easy pass most will shop around to other states on the east coast and go with the cheapest to comply with the feds registration requirement. Doesn’t Delaware have the phone system implemented for registration? How much did it cost to register in Delaware last year?

The feds don’t want you to register multiple times they just want you information once in there database. That is why a highly migratory game fish permit also complies with registering for the program.

Now dedicate the excess of this money solely toward reviving a helicopter program for DNR to improve/ administer enforcement of current regulation. I could get behind it.
The revenue that will be generated by this program is far more than is needed for administering the collection of the required information by the feds.

Maryland is dealing with the state the feds were dealing with everyone, there( FEDS) rough estimation of a fee was $20- $25.

#11 ·
Fish nut. . . my opinion is that the federal fee being $15 to $25 is just a case of them trying to force the states to comply with the regulation and provide the data. Many of the states along the East coast have implemented licenses. VA has some form of low costs modifications of some type in the works so that they can comply. I would bet that MD does also.

#13 ·
JUST MY THOUGHTS, Good for now. Helps management . Will also become a good source of revenue if needed. One POSSABLE out come I see from this type of management may be an annual limit of fish per angler. Like Deer hunting-So many deer per year & buy extra tags if you need to. The entire industry will benefit including the commercial side as well. the only thing left will be how & where to put that revenue to use. (before someone steals it) I usually don't harp over an annual fee to support my sport(s). It's where it goes ,or ends up that annoys me the most. Or the complete failure of the product & no credit. I hope I'm wrong.........BG.
*I'M WISHING YOU ALL A GREAT HAPPY & SAFE NEW YEAR*

#14 ·
I have a couple questions, doubt if anyone has answers though.

1) Who is policing this? It's federal law, is DNR, and what is the consequence/fine for not having one?

2) HMS permit exempts you from registering. The HMS permit covers everyone on board. Does this exempt everyone on board or just the permit holder?

#15 ·
The way that I read the law (b)8 combined says that it is "a person" who holds the permit. . . It doesn't like some of the other ones say "fishing under the permit"

Thus that person is exempt but no one else on a vessel.

My understanding is that DNR, VMRC, DGIF are required enforce federal regulations.

However, the law does say fishing for andranomous species. . . so if you don't have any stripers, shad or herring on board and you say you are fishing for croaker, trout or puppy drum how can they write you a ticket.

Enforcement is going to be a mess.

#16 ·
The way that I read the law (b)8 combined says that it is "a person" who holds the permit. . . It doesn't like some of the other ones say "fishing under the permit"

Thus that person is exempt but no one else on a vessel.

My understanding is that DNR, VMRC, DGIF are required enforce federal regulations.

However, the law does say fishing for andranomous species. . . so if you don't have any stripers, shad or herring on board and you say you are fishing for croaker, trout or puppy drum how can they write you a ticket.

Enforcement is going to be a mess.
Kind of the way I interpret it too. Just want to see what others think.

Am I wrong or doesn't this seem like the most well thought out plan?

If this can help with management I really don't have any issues. Paying another $15-$25 in comparison to what most already spend every year nothing though all the fees are really starting to add up. Where it gets to be a pain is taking out people that don't fish much. Before they go out you have to make sure they register and pay their fee. That's going to be a pain in the a$$.

#18 ·
Just another totally worthless government "registration" program. It has nothing to do with and will have no positive impact whatsoever on "effectively managing saltwater fish populations". It falls somewhere between increasing tax revenue and a make-work project. Everybody who dunks a line in the water will have to be registered in the database - and pay a fee for the honor (if not this year - then next year - you know it's coming...). Government will have to get bigger since they will have to hire more people to manage the new database.

And how does NOAA view their new Registry?? Their own web site says that it is "essentially a phonebook of fishermen that is updated every year". Now, they can make telemarketing calls to all the fishermen (probably while we are all eating dinner ;-)) to ask us if we went fishing this week and how many fish we caught. How many of you out there in TF land with caller-ID actually answer the phone if a telemarketer calls?

Very sad - what a waste of time and money:((

#43 ·
Hey -- We passed the "1984" level LOOONG Ago. Like others have said -- Just another tax that they are just laying the ground work for.
While ALL this garbage goes on, OMEGA continues to RAPE-THE-BAY free of charge and gets protected for it under the guise of "Providing Jobs".

#23 ·
All,
I believe that MD will work out a registration service with NOAA because several Atlantic and other Coastal states already have this registration included in their state licenses. Noaa states that:

Alabama, Alaska, California, Connecticut, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Washington

"This state or territory has an agreement in place with NOAA whereby anglers who possess a CURRENT AND VALID LICENSE from that state or territory do not need to register. So keep in mind that if you purchase a short-term temporary license from that state or territory, your registration in the Angler Registry will expire when the license does. If you buy an annual license from that state or territory, your registration will expire if you choose not to renew the license next year"

I don't think it will be an extra fee, I think it is the fed being faster than MD in wanting to incorporate new data into their surveys. You knew this was coming due to the Environmental Protection Agency's new effort to help protect and restore the Chesapeake Bay. Everyone in the fishing community knows that DNR has a bad rep for fisheries management and this is how the fed will bring us into the fold. You want federal money for fisheries cleanup, this seems to be the beginning of the program.

-1full

#25 ·
For those of us who buy a boat license so friends and such don't have to buy individual fishing licenses, what is the registration requirement (if any) for them? Seems like no action should be required just like no registration is required for those fishing on charter boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.