Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of many Startron fans for stabilizing E10 all through the season. For the past couple of winters I've still added a 'traditional' stabilizer to the tank even though Startron is in it. I'm thinking just Startron is good enough until April 1 or so? Also I ignore all the advice and leave tank about two-thirds full. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
I think Star Tron has a new one out that conditions and stabilizes the fuel.It can not hurt to use both if your boat's fuel sits for 3-4 months.

Best tip I heard was to trailer the boat 10-15 miles each month to slosh the fuel around.Makes alot of sense.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
I use Stabil new ethanol formula and Stratron when winterizing, cheaper than having fuel problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A couple years ago a marina owner told me that they had switched to Startron for winterizing all their customer's boats and were very happy with the results. Based on that endorsement, I have used Startron-only all year round with no problems to report (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Boy, is this stuff ever controversial. I cannot find ANY evidence--and I've asked Startron for it, and always received very polite and helpful answers--that the stuff works. I can't find any theoretical basis for its working, and I can't find any actual evidence, other than anecdote, that it works, for anything, including stabilization, improving fuel economy, anything. In fact Startron sent me a bottle and I used it as directed, and couldn't detect any difference whatsoever in anything. There used to be lots of threads on this at thehulltruth.com. I also have heard nothing to lead me to believe it does any harm at all.

FF

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Best tip I heard was to trailer the boat 10-15 miles each month to slosh the fuel around.Makes alot of sense.
Please explain to me what sloshing the gas around in a tank is supposed to accomplish?

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
I attended a winterize seminar at Boaters World.The new E-10 fuel can seperate into two distinct layers if gas is left to sit longer then 90 days.The idea of trailering was to keep the achohol and gas mixed together.Once it seperates - they said it will stay in two layers.Sloshing it around helps keep everything mixed well.

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
I go out one a week and rock the heck out of my boat on the trailer. I have it in a friends garage and it clears by 1/4 inch so taking it out is a job. I used Startron and Stabil in the gas. Stabil now makes an E 10 marine stabilizer.............Gary

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have been using Startron but the problem with most additives is, who really knows if they work or not:wacko: Obviously the company is gonna tell you its the best thing since sliced bread.

Bill

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have to say, I am a huge fan of the stuff. I have a 1989 140hp VRO johnson and I swear that that old dog runs better - very well, in fact - with it. I add a bit more in the winter for storage.

·
Registered
194 Posts
All I can add is I use it faithfully all year.

My mechanic put e10 fuel in two equal clear plastic bottles and in one he added the proper formulation of Startron. In no time at all you could see the separation of the alcohol and fuel in the untreated bottle. I believe he still had both bottles on his shelf and the treated one is still mixed. That has been like that since early May.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am just about done with the winter preps for the boat. I just used star tron plus my ring free. Keeping my figures crossed. I also siphoned out all the gas I had left in my tank about 10 gallons.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I use Statron in the winter months, full bottle on every fill (60gal tank) just because I don't use the boat as much.

From the information I've read, you don't need both startron and Stabil. Startron uses enzymes in a petroleum product to help break down water and keep fuel "fresh"

Stabil, from what I've read, uses a chemical mix to do this.

i.e. they both keep the fuel fresh.

Startron also touts it's ability to help reduce carbon deposits, Stabil, from what I've read, only helps to stabilize the fuel for storage.

I had a bottle of stabil sitting in my garage for 3 months, all kinds of red gunk accumulated on the bottom, whether accurate or not, I did not think something that gunked up like that would be good for my fuel system.

Don't know if I answered your question, but I use Startron and have had no issues.

·
1,295 Posts
I've used Startron for the past 2 years with no problem. That's all I used last winter. Dumped a whole 16 OZ bottle into a 76 gallon tank, already filled with trasted gas and everything was fine come spring. I also "shake the boat" on the trailer every few weeks to keep it mixed up. Too much of a hassle for me to tow my boat with the outdrive down and no battery to raise it, but shaking it seems to help.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
startron is what is in my engine. The only fuel problems I have had is a clogged 10 micron fuel filter, which is about $12 to replace. No water problems at all since I started using Startron two years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts