Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get this topic going again. The full moon is today. What's been going on in your area? My last three days of still hunting have produced several sightings, but limited rut activity. I just recently saw a big nanny with her two little ones still tagging along. Lots of little bucks, no chasing or harassing. I am thinking that it should heat up again with this cold front pushing through at the end of the week.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,064 Posts
This has been the craziest damn year ever for me..Maybe its just a new place but I cant figure em' out.

One day I saw 3 mature bucks hanging together on Nov 8th on Nov 11th I had a hell of a buck responding to the horns but the surrounding environment buggered that up ( too close to houses and road noise). On Nov 12th had what apperared to be a hot doe prance about 70 yards in front of a bruiser and I managed to pull him off her trail and into my decoy ( doe) .

I HAVE NOT SEEN A BUCK CASING A DOE THIS YEAR!! You know how you can tell even the sound of them chasing either in the dark or out of sight that CH CH ch chchch ( if this makes any sense) I have not even heard this in the woods. All I do know is the does moved out and the bucks moved in so I still believe its close but not here yet. All my deer activity has been right @ daylight or 45 mins before dark so no abnormal movement.

Has anybody hunted all day yet and caught buck movement?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hunted in Ashland Fri morning and had one deer come really close before light. That was it for two hours of hunting. Fri hunted in Lunenburg had a small 8ptr come out an hour before dark and work a scrape and meander on through the beanfield on his way. No does. Had one deer come from the swamp right before I was getting down that sounded exactly as you described. Coulda been him? Sat morning shot an 8ptr as I was climbing up my ladder. Got a touch of a late start. Sat evening saw nothing. Did see a few nice bucks last weekend trailing does across the road after dark. Didn't get a chance to do much spotlighting so I didn't really put too much into it. We built a new clubhouse and have been working our arses off to get it ready for hunting seaon

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have experienced differnt things on the Shore. Last monday we rattled in three bucks that came from differnent directions at the same time. One being the big boy. Long story short my partner got confused and shot the wrong deer. Friday I got in the woods early to not see a deer till 10am, then a nice buck at 1:30pm. Nothing after that. So Saturday I slept in and got in the tree at 8:30am. Pulling in the property i saw the biggest buck of my life on some elses land, i was fired up. Well right on que 10:30am nice 8 comes right down the trail nose to the ground. You can read the re******s in my powerbelt post. I looked for the deer till 1, then moved to another area. NO deer to be seen in the evening. I am a true beliver now that you are better off sleeping in and planning on spending the day in the stand. First year i have done this and i have seen more bucks then ever. Good luck
Daniel

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,064 Posts
Thats good info.... Big bucks are typicaly nocturnal so when you have sightings during mid day hours something is happening. Big bucks are smarter than most think, I believe they know most human traffic is out of the woods by mid morning and they are compfortable just looking around.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interestingly I have seen very little activity in the mornig the last week. And yesterday at 1:30 in the afternoon I saw a decent buk come running out of a section of woods look around and run back in like he was chasing something. Also liikewise with the does. All I have seen are still have there yearling tagging around and feeding casually.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have been hunting the Southhampton/ sussex line and have yet to see a deer since bow season started (outside the truck anyway). I was driving in on Friday morning and had a doe standing in the road outside of the prison farm. I had to stop to keep from hitting her. Out of the corner of the windshield I saw movement. Then comes this 8 pt. that almost hit the truck and plowed strait into her; almost knoked her over trying to get him some. She ran and he was hot on her arse. I dont think he even saw my truck. That was at 5:15am.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Saturday i had a five point running does all morning. he and the does must have run around my stand every 30 minutes. i saw him last about 12:15, then the woods got quite till 10 of five. at 5 he came back by the stand and right thru the shooting lane. dead deer. when i went in to drag him out the does wouldn't leave him. they were literally 15 to 20 yards away from me and him until i started to drag him out. he must have been some sort of stud![grin] (Caroline co)

the end of last week, in the communities around the house there was decent activity during the day with smaller bucks up to 6 pts. just yesterday a friend told me of a 7 and a 6 in his back yard from about 8 am to noon. then nothing until the evening when his backyard was full of does. just after dark he saw a "large racked large body deer" chasing does a few houses up from his. (Queen Anne's Co)

i would say the rut is here...or darn close

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds pretty good. It is very intersting to see how things unfold in different areas. There seems to be a big difference between here and there. Keep the reports comming in. I think this is really helpful stuff. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I've had better luck fishing so far. The next door landowner told me that he saw a six pointer chasing two does next to the place I hunt on the Rapp. I have seen only does, and it seems to be slow right now, been out three times since bow ended. The guy that I hunt with hung a stand and saw 11 deer with a 4 and 6 point walking within twenty feet. He also had a 10 wind him at 60 yards.
Still haven't seen a lot of buck activity although the scraping and rubs have been worked pretty hard in the last two weeks.

Feeshon [grin]

·
Registered
5 Posts
hunted last fri. and sat. eve. in Q.A. county.Saw 13 fri. only 1 was a buck (7 pointer). sat saw 14, same 7 pointer chased a doe for 20 min. around my stand. Again, only buck I saw. Most does still had fawns with them. Hunted in Dorchester Co. Nov. 5-9. Saw 14 deer in 5 days. Six were bucks, only 1 was a wall hanger which came out right at dark. Cooler weather certainly will help. Goose season opens Thurs., deer will have to wait till next week.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been getting in the woods late each day (get off work at 3 pm), been getting picked off alot.
I Got in the stand around 2 pm saturday and had deer all around me within 20 munutes, at least 7 of them, all does and micros. Finally saw a 5 pointer and capped it for the freezer, the other deer stayed in the area and continued feeding after 15-20 minutes. Had a real big bodied, wideracked buck come in before dark, but couldn't get the shot.
I didn't see any doe chasing. Good luck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've seen a smaller buck chasing a doe right at dark and shot a nice 6 pointer at 4:30 last Saturday. We watched him for almost 30 minutes work the edge of the feild until I had the shot.

We have been letting spikes and four pinters go for weeks. Also let another 6 pointer go last saturday that had a smaller rack. There are so many deer that it really did not make sense to kill a small buck for meat. (You don't get big bucks if you shoot small bucks) The 6 I got had about a 16" spread. Now I won't shoot another deer until late year unless Mr. Nailer walks by.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, thought I was the only one, and I was chalking it up to an unusual string of bad luck. Good to know that others are experiencing the same. I have been hunting every day (mostly afternoons after work) possible for the past 2 1/2 weeks - I have very little to report. One good morning out of all of it last Saturday - 3 different bucks, all grunted in to the estrus, all at the same time, all within minutes of daylight. Decided to wait on the moose that was sighted within 100 yds of there the day before by my partner, but the moose never showed. This is certainly some strange weather. Looks like the rut is either happening at night, or is super, super late - Lord help them as the gun-bangers will have a field day with them within the next week. Oh well, will do my share of gun-banging, too, to catch up on the freezer stocks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
11-11-05 in @ 3 pm Seen a small 8 p feeding with 3 does not showing any interest.

11-12-05 in @ 2 pm Seen 1 doe feeding by herself.

11-14-05 in @ 3 pm Seen 1 button head acting real scared about something. Ether his mother has ran him off or a buck was after his mother and scared him off. Not sure.

Have not seen much buck activity where i'm hunting in Dinwiddie Co.
Did see a 20 inch 8 p with a does in a field feeding going to work yesterday @ 6:45 am.
Also watched a 10 p feeding with a doe @ 8 am @ work in petersburg on 11-8.
3 friends have hunted all most everyday for the last 3 weeks @ upper brandon and have seen many ,many, bucks and are not seeing bucks chacing. They were seeing more buck movement the last week of bow season than this week or last.
I think its going to be next week before it gets right around here.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My personal experience in Eastern Haonver in the last decade is that because of the high buck to doe ratio and the usual inconsistent weather (see this year), we rarely get a strong, consistent, short rut. It happened about 6 years ago, where every buck in the woods was going nuts for about 10 straight days, but since then it's been very inconsistent. Last about 6 weeks with "good" days being once or twice a week.

Different does reach estrus at differnet times, and different bucks rut at different times. Three bucks can be standing next to each other and one may come running at a grunt call, one will ignore it and one will ease off in the other direction.

You have to hit the right buck on the right day.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my brother in law killed a 18 inch wide and 19 inch tall 10 pointer out of my stand that I hung and have been hunting out of. I had gotten a glimpse the deer 1 time in my 5 trips to the stand, but was unsure of the exact size. He hunted it for the first time and nailed him yesterday afternoon. He came to "the can" call. I had taken off this Friday Saturday and next Monday to hunt him. I am still going, just not with as high of hopes.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Been there Justin - last year I hung two stands in new spots only to have two other hunt club members sit in them and shoot not just one but two nice mature 8 pointers. And this year when I asked them to honor some gentlemen's rules, i.e. use scent control, tell me when you sat in one of my stands, etc. they tell me I have an attitude problem. Boy am I a jerk.

Look at the bright side, it's your brother in lawand you will get to see the deer for many years to come! I took my brother in law rock fishing last year and we nailed a 36" on a 32 oz Mojo and he has been on a cloud since then. All your good deeds will come back, there is another one that will take his place and maybe you will get him.

Feeshon Aboard the Jezebel II

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.