Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it was a good or bad omen hearing the theme from "Deadliest Catch" while hooking up the trailer this morning.

Left the ramp at 7:30 am on the low tide with fellow Tfers Nova Striper (Bill) , Mike Bcfd (Mike) and Mackoroni (Mike).We ran out in the small craft warning but found only gentle waves - guess they posted it for the Parker clan :D.Water is really clear and 52*.Set out the lines in the morning chill and by 8:20 -we had everything out.Surprised to get all the rods out without a hit- guess the last few trips have spoiled me.Oh well- time for donuts, the guys brought 2 dozen.About 8:40 - the center rigger back 320 feet with a 13/0 gold Cripple Alewive and 4 oz parachute got hit.Mike Bcfd had his hands full with what seemed to be a decent fish.The fish fought weird and once at the boat- we saw it was hooked under the chin on the spoon.The fat 38 incher went into the box.

We were near #78 and heading SW in 65 feet.About 9:00 a tandem off the board got hit and Bill reeled in a nice 37 incher.It ate a white parachute fished 45 feet back.

We saw about 7 charters well inside just below Parkers but stayed out in the deeper water.At 9:45 in 46 feet on the west side a single chart 90 feet off the boards got hit and the other Mike reeled in a nice 36 incher.

We swung back towards #78 and at 10:25 the center rigger got hit again.Mike Bcfd reeled in my fish that hit the parachute.This one fought alot better.The fish was about 38 inches and gave us our over 28 limit.The bay was still calm but around 11:00 the wind shifted and it got choppy.The center rigger got hit once again at 11:30 and Bill reeled in a nice 38 that was released.
It hit the spoon.We worked the eastern edge behind #78 and I trolled right into the crab pots :eek2:.Luck of all luck- only one line got into them and it came free :clapping2:.The floats are very tough to see- be careful behind the marker.

About 12:30 a white single got hit and Mike reeled in a nice 36 that was released.

Wind was blowing pretty good with a few gusts pushing 20.The sun went in and it got chilly- felt like Rockfish weather.Since each of the guys had reeled in a fish- the next one was mine.About 2:00 a single white parachute with a white/black shad got hit and I reeled the fish about 3/4 of the way in and then it spit the hook.Found the shad all twisted over the hooks- guess he C/R ed me :pp.Pulled in the rods and headed in.We ran in at a nice 22 knots- the windshield stayed dry.Once near the shore- it was like a pond.Saw TFers Get the gaff and Get the net at the ramp - they had their Thanksgiving Rock as well.I stopped at Tyler's on the way home and bought 4 dozen oysters :yes: - gonna eat good tomorrow.Not the fastest fishing but the bites are decent sized fish.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nice job Skip. Your day sounds just like our day . We were getting a bite about every 35 minutes. BIG difference today from the west side to the east side far as seas today !

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
Another good day with Skip..........your "need a ho" posts don't last very long:clap::clap: Got to love those big fish on the WWB line:yes:.........Gary

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Nothing like a fish on WWB line turning itself into a diving plug

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Thanks for the report and pics Skip..Great job getting the fellas on beeg feesch...Any birds around??

Happy Thanksgiving, you got the pullage today so give it a break tomorrow to down some turkey and watch some football (Terps b.ball plays at 7 vs Mich St. not predicting a win)

Looking forward to your FRIDAY report.

TIGHT LINES!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nice report Skip. Looks like a nice group of good quality fish. It's getting tough to find those unders these days.

Enjoy Thanksgiving with your family. Roast turkey with oyster stuffing sounds great.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Great report Skip! :thumbup: I'm going to have to pick up a coupl of those cripple alwife spoons to add in the mix once I resume in the spring.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Wow, 320' is WWB! I usually use a 21 tony about 250' back but I'm gonna try 320' next time. Way to go on the nice catch guys! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Timbo - I put 300 feet of braid on all my trolling reels.The WWB is easy to set- we let it out SLOWLY until the back to back uni knot goes past the tip.Since I use a center rigger - I let out about 20 more feet so I can see the knot from my chair.Often I see the knot get pulled down into the water when a fish hits :thumbup:.Being 320 feet back- it also does not tangle the line when we reel in fish.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skip,

You put out the line to 350' just to see how much people really want to reel in a fish:wacko:

Nice report!! Good seeing you in the morning.

Ken

·
Registered
502 Posts
Skip, had a great time, enjoyed fishing with you and picked up a few tips on Wednesday, thanks again for a good day on the water
Mike S

1 - 19 of 19 Posts