Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I would like to know if we can still order MD. steamed crabs in restaurants? We are thinking about going to Suicide Bridge Restaurant today 10/25. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Maryland crab season is still open & the crabbers are still catching, however not all retail places sell Maryland crabs, or use maryland crab meat in their products,
It is best to ask the particular establishment about the source of crabmeat or crabs.

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
My wife and I would like to know if we can still order MD. steamed crabs in restaurants? We are thinking about going to Suicide Bridge Restaurant today 10/25. Thanks!
rj is correct. Most big restaurants do not use MD crab. The cost and availability of MD crab meat causes them to buy either Asian or Venezuelan crab meat and get crabs from Louisiana . I spoke with Arthur who owns Mike's Crab House on the South River and he said he has not bought MD crabs in over 15 years. The Suicide Bridge is a great restaurant and they have a big buffet on Fridays. There are plenty crabs in the Choptank and they are not a big chain so they should have MD crab. Just ask. Their phone # is 410-943-4689. Got it off the back of my shirt! lol.......... Gary

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
There's so many crabs being caught right now and the demand has gone down so much that crabbers are pulling their pots because they can't sell them all. Hard to believe after the past few slow years. A lot of big crabs too.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maryland crab season is still open & the crabbers are still catching, however not all retail places sell Maryland crabs, or use maryland crab meat in their products,
It is best to ask the particular establishment about the source of crabmeat or crabs.
Were we lived most of our life. The places we buy and eat crabs are MD. crabs. I know you are right about some places selling out of state crabs. Places like The Crab Deck at the Kent Narrows that can't get enough MD. crabs to feed the people, so they order out of state. We lived in FL. for 15 years. Where we eat steamed crabs the owner told us they ship most of their crabs to MD. These little seafood markets in these little towns on the Eastern Shore buy crabs from the local crabbers. At the Suicide Bridge Restaurant were we go a lot, you see the crabbers bringing in the crabs. Haven't been there in a while. That why I ask you crabbers that question. Thanks for the Info. guys. We are going to eat some crabs maybe today.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rj is correct. Most big restaurants do not use MD crab. The cost and availability of MD crab meat causes them to buy either Asian or Venezuelan crab meat and get crabs from Louisiana . I spoke with Arthur who owns Mike's Crab House on the South River and he said he has not bought MD crabs in over 15 years. The Suicide Bridge is a great restaurant and they have a big buffet on Fridays. There are plenty crabs in the Choptank and they are not a big chain so they should have MD crab. Just ask. Their phone # is 410-943-4689. Got it off the back of my shirt! lol.......... Gary
Thank crabby, we live about 12-15 miles from Suicide Bridge Restaurant. Your right, no out of state crabs here. PS. We like everything they serve. The Crab Imperial is the best ever for us. Check it out next time their.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Years ago I use to buy Suicide Bridge Restaurant boxes to sell my Crab Cakes at the market.
The State told me I couldn't make my own to sell so I used their boxes.
Who Knew!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts