Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed recently that when I'm launching and the disc brakes hit the water, they blow off a lot of steam. Enough that you can see steam from the truck and it goes up about 3' in the air.

Guess the brakes are sticking?? Has anyone had similar problems and how did you fix it? The trailer is a 2006 Vantage. If its detailed work, where do you take it for repairs.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I had the problem when I first switched over to disc on my Venture. The solenoid was not doing its job due to a loose wire in the plug. If you have the seven wire (round) plug it should be the middle wire. Of course if that's what your problem is you should notice the resistance when backing the empty trailer down to retrieve and in most cases your wheels would actually hop when backing. You can manually keep them from engaging by putting a screwdriver through the slide rail in front of the actuator before backing up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont have any problems going forward or in reverse. They just seem a lot hotter than I remember. Just dont remember the steam coming off of them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you sure it is the brakes that are hot and not the hub. A wheel bearing that is going bad will start to cause a lot of heat buildup too. You can usally tell if you carefully feel of the center of the wheel after you drive a short distance.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Are you sure it is the brakes that are hot and not the hub. A wheel bearing that is going bad will start to cause a lot of heat buildup too. You can usally tell if you carefully feel of the center of the wheel after you drive a short distance.
That's my guess to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
First determine if it's the Brakes or the bearings, you can do that by jacking up side of the trailer and spinning the tire.... is the resistance caused by the brake (you will hear it or feel it rubbing) A word of caution... Locked or binding brakes can get the hub hot enough to boil the grease and blow out the seals; it’s a mess and will cause you to have doubled the work. The reason I know is I just went through this situation, the cause of the problem on my 2006 Venture was the Wheel Cylinder Corrosion causing the brakes to not release completely. Your hubs or brakes should not steam at all when put into the water, you may want to go ahead and repack the barings anyhow to be safe, I did and discovered burnt grease caused by the brake problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you're onto something. I did notice last week that the hub grease fittings (rubber boot) was blown out on one side causing the grease to leak onto the rims.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
you can check it at the ramp too- no jacking required......just drive 1 wheel up on the curb and the tandon one will be off the ground

1 - 11 of 11 Posts