Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can steel shot be used in older guns (LC Smith, 1950, 20 ga. double barrel, 2 3/4) without causing damage to the barrels ? If not steel, what shells can be used for waterfoul ? Thx

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also - Know of any good Gun Shops in the Hampton/Va. Beach area for purchases and advise ? Thx

·
Registered
981 Posts
if the chokes are open, you can, but I wouldn't advise it. Bismuth or Kent Matrix is your best bet. If she's a nice gun though, the duck blind may not be the best place for her

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try Dick's sporting goods on Independence Blvd or Superior Pawn sells new guns on the Boulevard. But Bass Pro Shops in Hampton will have the biggest selection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to a gun shop - Bismuth seems to be the way to go - expensive, about 1.50 per shell, but safe.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Try Bismuth and you may never use steel again. If flat out puts them down. I use 2 3/4" #4 and #5 for ducks and geese and it knocks them out of the air. I grew up in Baltimore hunting geese and ducks on the Eastern Shore and Bismuth reminds me of when we could hit them with lead.

Feeshon [grin]

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bismuth is the way to go. Do not go with steel or tungstan! I loaded some bismuth up for a buddy of mine to shoot in his old doubles. If you buy off the shelf stuff watch out not to get shells that are too strong for the gun to handle. My buddys guns were old so I basically loaded up light trap loads with bismuth 4 shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts