Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The steering cable on my boat is about shot - actually had frozen up. I was able to get it free but it sure is tight.

I am seriously considering changing it to the TeleFlex anti-feedback rotary system. Has anybody had any experience with this type steering system? Is it any good, what about ease of installation?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Rapp, I saw yor post on perch forum. http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/11-Rack-Pinion-Steering-System-SS14111/
I'm not sure this system helps, the main problem (at least for me. and my friends boats) has been the hang up in the steering tube that fastens to the motor.
Seems like a problem every winter when it sets. this system has same troubles :( I understand the only thing that helps is keeping tube were it attaches to motor greased with Waterproof grease. ( they also sell a greasable fitting at Boats US that helps seal this, but I have not tried it)

·
Registered
294 Posts
fix

take the cable assembly off and pull the cable and sleeve out of the tube. get a long metal tube brush and clean it out. then grease it with anti-seize (the silver **** you can't get off) NOT grease. put the anti-seize everywhere you can smear it. yes, a zerk (grease) fitting helps.

The real secret that my mechanic friend taught me is to turn your steering all the way so the rod stays in the tube during periods of inactivity and to use anti-seize.. since I have done this no problems, EVER. If you do not do this and you have been in saltwater or do not use Anti-seize, then you will have the same problem until it seizes up or gets tight again and again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts