Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Stickin Em on a hunt the 27th and he got this nice buck. I will let him fill everybody in on the details. This piece of property hasnt been hunted in 4 years. This buck was aged to be around 4 years old. The product of letting them little ones grow up to be big boys. Umm Umm Ummmmmmmmm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice Buck, but after the pictures of deer I saw today and the one being mounted that had dropped dead from old age and obvious to much bone sticking out of his head.....my whole description of "trophy buck" has changed. Now I know "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" but these boys were "HAMMERS". At first I was really excited to know they are only about 2 miles from where I hunt.....then.....reality "SMACKED" me upside the head and thought after all the "TROPHIES" I have been blessed with over the years I can honestly say I have yet to see a deer like this on the hoof my entire life....( not while I was awake at least). Up until this morning I as well as others use to consider a 20 inch or larger give or take a inch or two a "trophy". Now all I can do is hope that a hot mama leads them boys a little east then left at the ol oak tree, across the swamp and across the road where I will be waiting!!!! Well a guy can dream right? [grin]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutley nicbuc, you never know where ole mossy antlers might show up. I look at this way when bow hunting, any deer taken is a trophy, but it is awesome when 20 plus inches wide worth of bone come with in skewering range. By the way guys heres another pic of his buck.

Should have rearranged the tongue but I guess that can be doctored up a little.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice pics Slade.
I'd like to once again thank my guide on this particular trip. What a day. On Thursday, we tried a spot different from the area that we hunted on Tuesday. My guide told me what area to go to and he went on further. I checked out the area for about 30 minutes and didn't see much deer sign. Actually the only sign I saw was some acorns and deer droppings under a very mature white oak, so this is where I set up. At 5:00 my afternoon cat nap was interupted by the sound of "ch, ch, ch." I slowly looked to my left and there he was, slowly feeding towards me at about 40 yards. I watched the buck for about ten minutes as he slowly moved towards me. To my surprise however, he went around the big white oak I was set up on. As he eased down through the woods, I had one opening (about 18 inches wide) before he would have been gone. When he hit the opening, I was already drawn and had my pin on the hole. I stopped him perfected in the opening and let the Hoyt eat!!! Perfect double lung shot at 30 yards. The buck ran approximately 75 yards before I saw him go down. That's when the shakes started. What a hunt.
Every year I get scouting pics of nice bucks on land I hunt and I put a lot of time and effort into scouting them and trying to pattern them. Many times these efforts don't result in bagging that particular buck. I'm going to have to say I had a lot of luck on this one. This was the first time I had ever been to this area and the first time I had ever seen this deer. Thanks again Slade!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts