Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1996 Kencraft 19' challenger (2001 Johnson 150). The throttle is alittle sticky, not to the point of inoperable, but definately annoying. Any suggestions or fixes?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Time to replace the cable, anything else is just going to be a quick fix, that will come back to bite you at the worst time.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm a big fan and former owner of Kencraft. Had a 23 WA with the same problem, If you call Kencraft they will send you cables for free if you have had this problem persist. They had a routing problem with there 1999/2000 boats.... OK I just reread the post, 1996 Kencraft will need new cables and a little to old for the factory to cover it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Is the throttle sticking in the early part of shifting the engine into gear and giving it gas or the whole throttle distance. If its in the early stages it could be the shift linkage in the motor and not the cables. I had this problem with a Johnson 150 and when the cables were disconected from the engin everything worked great. What I found is the shifting rod has two O rings where it enters the lower unit by the water pump. The housing of theses "o" rings becomes corroded and binds up the o rings around the shifting rod.

·
Registered
629 Posts
There's a throttle friction adjustment on the forward control unit which may be set to tight. Worth checking, if it's always been too tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts