Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be old news for some, but I just learned that Still Pond Store burned down. Rich and I tried to launch (unsuccessfully) at the Betterton ramp yesterday and noticed it had burned. The last chance for snacks, beer, license, and Kent County launch permits before the ramp, they opened early and made the best sliced-to-order bologna sandwiches on the Eastern Shore. (I'd get one for breakfast and another for lunch - white bread, thick meat, extra mayonnaise and onions with american cheese.) Here's a couple of shots from a pre-dawn morning last April. I hope they rebuild it, but I don't think we can count on it this flats season.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Geeze man, that is my old stomping ground. Like Hockleyneck I went to Washington College and lived at the house at the corner of Still Pond Creek Road and Wymont Park Rd. Many fond fishing memories living on that creek and fishing the area, not to mention some much needed food bought at Still Pond Store after an occasional long night. Hope they rebuild, it was a good place.

I have not been there in a while, but the CG station at the head of Still Pond Creek had a ramp and after they closed the CG station I had heard they opened it to use. Maybe an option to check out, its right at the head of the creek and has a deep water channel out the cut. I'd cast a few lures in that area at the mouth as well if it works out, we caught just a "few" yellow and white perch as well as some big silver fish with striped on them there.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like that area and I'm not surprised to hear about all the fond memories. I didn't know about the CG ramp. Will definitely check that out. Turners Creek was iced in solid. I was thinking we would try the Sass for YP on the way out, but we never got in there. We spent 4 hours on the road Sunday, but finally managed to get out and catch some. Rich said we could've been at the CBBT by the time we finally got on the water.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Shawn

I was thinking where else you might be able to launch for that area in the winter with the ice issues. Stemmers run ramp is not that far and a short run south to the Sassafras River. You can pay at the ramp, however it would be worth getting some feedback on the conditions before going there, maybe someone on TF can chime in. I used to use that ramp all the time to fish the flats, sometimes the sand on one side is bad and in your rig you will not want a low tide. It sort of is a flat leading out to the shipping channel, so that might get iced in. But worth looking into if you are looking for another possible alternative. I posted some aerial photos of that ramp somewhere on TF as well to give a little better view then GE.

Another option is that at the mouth of Still Pond Creek if the CG ramp is not open is there is a community ramp, it's private, or at least it always was. If you could find someone who lives in that community and get permission to launch there it puts you right at the mouth of Still Pond right across from the CG station. It's deep water there, there are flats on each side of the channel going out to the bay, but unless it was super cold the main channel did stay open in the winter, probably because of the CG back then, but it is deep enough that it should stay open for the most part.

Just a few thoughts on other options to check out for you.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hate to see the old timey stores go! We just lost Pooles Store over here in Seneca ( Mont Co ) closed due to economic factors & some pressures by county officials. Great place for a cool drink after fishing in the summer or a hot bowl of soup after duckhunting in the winter. Soon all we'll be able to get to eat on the go will be SLEVEN cr*p or fast food sh!+ :eek2: ! I wanna go back to Mayberry :helpsmilie:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Historic-Store-Shuts-Its-Doors-for-Good-112730244.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts