Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a simple method. I seem to jack up more 9" shads then anybody I know. Thanks

Shawn F

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stinger hook install

I find where the bucktail hook will come out of the shad and put the stinger hook in eye first and push it forward to that point. I find going hook point first and feeding it back into the shad sometimes does not go straight especially in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I do the same thing with mine. Some people like to expose the eye of the stinger above the shad and some burry it into the shad. I was taught to burry it so thats what I do most. What size stingers is everyone using? 8/0 and 9/0? What brand?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I second the rear to front method, I use the point of the hook to poke the shad at entry and exit holes in the direction the hook is going, then a little saliva and with what I like to call the "favorite girlfriend in college" technique.:D push the eye through.
Other things to keep in mind is that you want your shad laying straight, so don't bunch it up against the chute, and don't run the stinger too deep in the body.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I second the rear to front method, I use the point of the hook to poke the shad at entry and exit holes in the direction the hook is going, then a little saliva and with what I like to call the "favorite girlfriend in college" technique.:D push the eye through.
Other things to keep in mind is that you want your shad laying straight, so don't bunch it up against the chute, and don't run the stinger too deep in the body.
As stated . Never run the hook too deep in the body . Try and keep it close to the surface . This allows you to run it a little deeper after a fish mauls it and it rips through the plastic , thus saving time and money by not having to rig a whole new shad .:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Takes Time BUT--

Does anyone have a simple method. I seem to jack up more 9" shads then anybody I know. Thanks

Shawn F
--On 9" & longer Shads I use a Home made Bait Needle--Get a Brass Coat Hanger & Cut it To your Choice of Length _-Sharpen one end-Flatten the other end --Make a hole big enough to Accomadate 80# mono --Knot Hook & Needle -then Pierce Shad Near the Knob , allowing for Free swimming --Run Needle through Shad Coming out at Nose --Knot a Snap ( Saved from Bottom Rigs ) Leave about an Inch--Fasten to the MAIN LINE , not the Lure, I use 8/0 Needle Eye Hooks --Positive hook up for Knob grabbers --geo.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Once I know where I want the stinger eye to sit in the shad, I mark where the shank will exit the rear of the shad and take a small bladed standard screw driver and and run that through the shad. It makes pushing the eye seem a lot easier.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just to add to the above posts. I initially had two problems in adding to trailing shad and hook; one they would bunch up and I had a hard time keeping the hook shaft in the middle. My biggest mistake was pushing the hook too deep into the shad.

I started using a needle (cut-off coat hanger) to create a path in the shad. Below are the steps involved. After a few times you will be able to do most of this visually -- but I still use the needle.

photo_1: determine entry and exit points by laying hook set on shad

photo_2: mark these locations, you can use a marker or I just make a puncture site with the hook or needle

photo_3: using the needle, create a path for the hook shaft. You can do this for both the main and trailing hook. The marks are only for demonstration -- but notice how shallow the path is.

photo_4: Insert the trailing hook eyelet from the exit site. As soon the eyelet is in the shad body, I turn the hook to starting moving the eyelet in the direction of the entry site.

photo_5: placement of trailing hook

photo_6: insert jig heard and thread hook through eyelet of trailing hook

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
:clapping2::clapping2: Dan - very well done , that's what TF is all about - sharing tips/tricks :yes:.Great idea with the dotted line :thumbup:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts