Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your humble opinion? Is it worth the trouble/time? Do you believe it increases the catch to make it worth it?

I found a technique where I use a pick to drive a locator hole thru the shad then thread the stinger thru, but it still takes some doing.

Interested in all your thoughts.
:yes:

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
FWIW: I fished the PSCR with barbless hooks / no stingers and 9 inch shads.

The overall catching was slow but I do not think I missed any more fish then when I had stinger hooks.

Once the kill season opened - I left those 6 rods rigged ( 9 lures total ) and continued to catch. Never did bother to insert stingers.

I do think the shad has move action without a stinger hook. I'm not a fan of the thick stingers often sold - I prefer a Mustad #34007 in 8/0 size. The eye is not real big - sometimes I have to half way mash the lure hook barb to get the stinger over it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've always put stingers on all my 9" baits just cause the charter capt. I'd go out with once in a while always rigged that way. But truthfully, I noticed the same thing Skip said about last c&r season, I don't think we missed a fish. I never thought about having more action without the stinger, that makes a pretty decent argument to not use them.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Stingers definitely increase the catch rate.....not because of the extra hook, but because the hook is further back on the bait. If you can thread a hook thru and attach it securely then no need for a stinger........charter captains rig them the way they do cause it's quick and easy.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I found a quick easy way to add stingers to my 9" lure's. I invite a friend that's good at putting them in and let him do it. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
We had 2 knockdowns today but no hook-ups; baits were 9" shads. IF there had been stinger hooks in place I feel those two KD would have come tight. I firmly believe stinger hooks increase your catching chances.

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
It's pretty simple that 2 hooks are better than 1. The only negative of a stinger hook is impeding the motion of the shad a bit............Gary

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Ai agree with Skip. I quit adding stingers about two years ago. We are also making Parachutes with longer shanks. I have sold all but about 5 of white 12oz and it is going to take a while to get another set poured.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I only jig, and have no problems hooking fish with 5/0 short shank barbless hooks on 10" BKDs. Stingers will only reduce the action of the shads but also increase the damage to fish. Please don't use stingers and don't kill trophy fish.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I won't use stingers or trebles on anything any more, mainly cause of what uncle phill said and also what Skip said. Same thing with barbless - I mash down on all barbs. I hate mangling fish when removing hooks and can't see any real benefit from using stingers/trebles/barbs. If there's a benefit from using them, it can't be much. And I've found what makes the most difference are the basic skills of finding the fish and techniques on catching them, which is a 1000 times more rewarding anyway. It's the same reason I've stuck with my cheap golf clubs from Kmart.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I only jig, and have no problems hooking fish with 5/0 short shank barbless hooks on 10" BKDs. Stingers will only reduce the action of the shads but also increase the damage to fish. Please don't use stingers and don't kill trophy fish.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
LTtrolled for about 1 1/2 hrs Sunday and caught 6 nice fish up to 40". didn't loose any and no problems with hookups.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have caught them rigged both ways. I can see pro's and con' for rigging both ways. I probably will lean towards not using Stinger hooks to reduce injury to these big fish, unless on a given day, I find we are experiencing knock downs without hooking up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts