Tidal Fish Forum banner

Stinger Hooks

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  captrichie 
#1 ·
I want to dress out my 12 oz parachutes with a 6-9" sassy shad and a stinger hook. I'm trying to do it with a 6/0 hook. The eye of the stinger hook will not fit ovet the barb of the hook on the parachute. What size hook do I need? Or can I open the eye of the stinger hook a bit?

#3 ·
I use a Mustad #34007 in 9/0 or 8/0.On some lures you might need to mash the barb down somewhat-not all the way-just enough for the stinger to go over.The local bait shops will have true stingers but expect to pay alot per hook.I buy a box of Mustads (100) and split it with 2-3 buddies-alot cheaper. Skip

#5 ·
You may want to reconsider using stingers this Spring. I'm a religous user but we're going to be picking through a lot of fish and I'm not willing to risk gut hooking a slot fish to ward off the one or two missed pull downs that might otherwise have hooked up using stingers.

#6 ·
Clyde- Keeper fish might be more common this year. Last year, everybody seems to think there were alot of 38" fish. If they grow 2" in a year, the 39" fish last year would be keepers this year-------------------------------:D
Got one today:rolleyes: -------LTJ'n-------------forgot my flea' knife:thumbup: ---------------------------

#8 ·
Only one or two real responses to your question? Surprise!!

Anyway, a 9.0 stainless steel hook is ideal.

Be aware of the regulations, however. You could be heavily fined and/or loose your boat over an inch.

Try to talk to the Marine Police and/or Md Dnr administrators. If you insist on fishing before May 15th, remember, "Fisher-buyer" beware!

#9 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Captrichie, the captricihie?? I think I heard you at a srtiper fishing seminar at Willowstreet a year or so ago. Great presentation! Learned a ton about LTJ. I still review the notes at times!

You lost me when you talk about "loosing the boat over an inch"? Is a 9/0 or 10/0 to big certain times of the year?? Not looking to be an outlaw, just looking for that first spring trophy!

#11 ·
Devon,
Sorry so long getting back, and thank you for the compliments.

The fishery for SB this spring, until May 15, is a bit complicated. Both Virginia and Maryland have "slots". This means you must carefully measure your fish, and be sure to be within the limits of the state in which you catch the fish.

The latest information on fines for "illegal?" or fish of the slightly wrong length is that if you're lucky you may get a warning the first time, and a serious fine for the repeater. This originally included boat confiscation, however, in the last couple years that has been much less frequent.

I, of course, would suggest fishing the first week on a charter, with a knowledgeable captain. I know this sounds self serving, but no matter how good one is, there are always better anglers/length negotiators.

I understand that after May 15, the MD, PRFC, and Virginia will go to their normal regulations. In the meantime, if in MD, be careful, as the way the regulations are written, there are no instructions to fisheries officers. It's sorta like a 0 tolerance radar trap, if the officer wants.

Anyhow, don't let this first month of "slots" discourage you. Enjoy your fishing and the beautiful Chesapeake resource.

CaptRichie

#17 ·
Devon,
Sorry so long getting back, and thank you for the compliments.

The fishery for SB this spring, until May 15, is a bit complicated. Both Virginia and Maryland have "slots". This means you must carefully measure your fish, and be sure to be within the limits of the state in which you catch the fish.

The latest information on fines for "illegal?" or fish of the slightly wrong length is that if you're lucky you may get a warning the first time, and a serious fine for the repeater. This originally included boat confiscation, however, in the last couple years that has been much less frequent.

I, of course, would suggest fishing the first week on a charter, with a knowledgeable captain. I know this sounds self serving, but no matter how good one is, there are always better anglers/length negotiators.

I understand that after May 15, the MD, PRFC, and Virginia will go to their normal regulations. In the meantime, if in MD, be careful, as the way the regulations are written, there are no instructions to fisheries officers. It's sorta like a 0 tolerance radar trap, if the officer wants.

Anyhow, don't let this first month of "slots" discourage you. Enjoy your fishing and the beautiful Chesapeake resource.

CaptRichie
Thanks Capt., the insight is appreciated.

#16 ·
I think I am gonna bag the stinger hooks this year. no need to deal with the BS that will be at hand if you gut hook one of those throw back fish :52:

#19 ·
Captrichie wrote-serious fine for repeat offender. :clapping2: Unless you're Buddy Harrison :innocent: . I can't wait for opening week and all the confused anglers asking "what the rules are " on VHF channel #68.:pp Skip

#20 ·
Skip, Devon, et. al. The regulations are now even more complicated as they require all released fish to be "unharmed" ( DNR emphasis - see final DNR regulations. This means that if you are observed by a DNR Officer releasing a fish he or she sees bleeding, or otherwise in their judgment "HARMED", you are in violation!

The idea was came in reaction to the mortality rate of released fish. DNR did a CYA with this language so they can now say, "we require them to be unharmed and released". It is of course contrary to their own mortality studies.

For those who fish the entire Bay, remember that in Virginia you also have a slot, although it is a different size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.