Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the big boys enroute and eels nearly being impossible to get during striper season im gonna stock up on eels for the season. My question is do any of yall stock eels for yourself if so what do you keep them in and how long do they tend to stay alive? I know when were on the boat i put them in a 5 gallon bucket with ice and cover a rag on top to calm them down but not sure about a long period of time... any info on what to make to keep them in would be appreciated thanks Brandon.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I set up an eel tank in the yard, 100 gallon plastic tote with an aerator/filter in it. SO far it has been running two weeks and the 4 test eels in there are still good to go. We'll see what happens this week with the cold wx then put about 40 - 50 in there.

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
problem is you have to keep out the amonia when you have large quantities or they'll die, i guess changing the water often is the key. I heard that well water is suitable for eels

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I used tap water, CHesterfield county. Tested the PH with my hot tub strips, adjusted to 7.8 with Baking soda as Ches. County PH is a little low. Added about 8 capfuls of Shad Keeper. Bought that at Greentop. IT takes out the Chlorine and the ammonia. About every two weeks (which I did Sat) plan is to drain about 25 gallons out from the bottom valave on the tote and replenish with water from the tap. Again, used shad keeper to remove the CL and Amonia. I used 5 gallon buckets at a time to replenish so I could treat the water and balance the PH while adding it. I did not use any salt as the water I gt them from was not saltwater.

Now the problem I have heard is that they do not eat in captivity. I am told that they will last a while, Max KIng says he keeps his all winter but they will develope sores from Malnutrition. AGain, that is what I am told. Seems the BIG BASS dont give a **** and wil still whack em!

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
is 850 gals. big enough?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
if they ONLY knew ............

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
481 Posts
Live eels

My swimming pool 20' diameter has Tarp on it for the winter. It has about 800gal of rain water on it now. When its gets a little cooler I put as many as 5 or 6 doz in it and they last all winter. I don't do anything but pump out the water once in a while so my sides don't cave in. I make sure I have plenty of leaves in it so they can hide from the Birds.

Bob

·
Registered
491 Posts
Big (well) one!

Tony- you've got to have the largest I've ever seen! (Live-Well,that is!!) Jamie told me about it awhile back, but until I saw it in person I was doubtful.. .. I'm still avail. to crew-up except for days that the Doc. wants to see me. Gimme a hollar, whever ---------BOB(FINNBOB)

·
Registered
188 Posts
i keep 2 doz. on top of my pool cover from mid.nov.til
end of jan.you lose a few,but its easy to catch them with leaf net for pool.
the ones that died i cut up and feed the live ones.it dosent take much to keep them alive.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

This is what I am keeping mine in.........200 gal....

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
tryng to post pics of my tank for you but the upload photo tab isn't doing anything when I click it. :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just buy a dozen or two each time you go out and release the left overs. It's good for the bait shops and better for the eel stock. Gas is cheap again so rejoice and let the moths out of your wallets again!!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Eel Resort

I fish about 4 times a week and I usually don't keep more than two dozen at a time. I don't see the need. I use a marine cooler (150 qt) and a powerful aquarium pump. I live on the James so I add saltwater every 2 weeks or so.

Good Fishin

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts