Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, some friends lost about $1000 worth of goose decoys last night from a field east of Centreville, QA County. Mix of Realgeese silouettes, Bigfeet and some flocked (GHG?). I think they had some snows taken too. So if anyone has info, pm me- no questions asked.

I'm sure that getting set back $1000 pretty much ended their season.

I had noticed their rig a couple times recently and wondered whether they were hunting the place hard- turns out they had left the rig out for a couple days, within easy reach of the road (maybe 300 yds?).

I know people that have had decoys stolen out of pits, out of trailers and out of locked garages. So leaving aside the fact that these guys didn't exactly make it hard for the thieves, I thought it raised a slightly different question-

Thievery aside, do you think leaving a spread out is a good idea from successful hunting standpoint? I have always religiously picked up every decoy when we were through. I don' t even like to leave them out overnight when returning to hunt the next morning. But I always see a few rigs that are "permanent", and I know they kill geese. And I've seen some commercial guides that leave duck rigs set out for weeks at a time. I am especially hoping someone from the "permanent" crowd can give some insight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stolen 'Coys

I'm more or less with you, never leave them out permanantly. They're a target for theft and the birds get too used to seeing them. Also, when you do want to pick them up they're usually frozen, especially silohouettes. Never duck decoys, 1 good ice flow or heavy tide and they could be history.
I'll leave my rig out over night if I'm hunting the next day, but that's it. Our pit is on Langford Creek about 1,000 yards from the road so I feel a little safe.
Man I sure would have hated to loose those BigFeet. I've got a rig of 5 dozen and they kill geese.
Mark

·
Registered
278 Posts
decoys

I have heard some people say that if there is a field that gees do not use at all by leavening a spread in the field for an extended period of time that gees will eventually start to use that field and over time will keep using it. Again this is what I've heard and I have never experienced this myself to see if it works or not.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
mdsportsman-
Never heard that before. I wonder if its because some geese eventually land, don' t get shot, and then get comfortable, find food, etc. If I ever win the lottery, I'll buy an extra rig and try it (too bad you gotta play to win!).

Do you think I'd have trouble finding a spot? "Wanted: to lease field for geese. Field must be devoid of geese. If inspection of field reveals no feathers or goose droppings, top dollar will be paid."

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most of my friends leave thier decoys out in the field. The farm I hunted on thursday evenig has two pits and both pits had out over 500 tire decoys. They have been doing that for over 25 years. The one I hutned in teh a.m. leaves out about 3 dozen tires then we put put about 3 dozen full bodies.

My one buddy that leaves his decoys out and says it will create a flyway and when I was there every single goose flew oer his field and we all limited out in no time.

But all the peopel I know that leave thier decoys out are old tire decoys.

Where I deer hunt there is a small field that no geese would ever land in. Just for a epierment I dumped about 100 lbs of corn in the field and put out a dozen decoys out to se if the geese woudl start coming into the field. i talked to the farmer and he said no geese ever came in but they shot a couple deer in the goose spread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know it's a pain, but if you want to be consistant in taking birds you must pay attention to detail. This includes wind direction, which charges overnight. Also frost on decoys left outside is a dead give away to late season birds who pass over many left out decoy spreads. It's aways best to put them in the blind every night.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I never leave dekes out in the field unless I plan to hunt the afternoon, we do however leave some of our old dekes in the blind, it gets to be a pain carting them across the field. One advantage is that my buddy owns the property and he lives within 2-3 hundred yards from the blind. After hearing about the recent theft of dekes , I did ask him to go check out the blind though. Man that really sucks that somebody would even think about stealing someone elses dekes. Guess with the price of dekes being so expensive some guys try to find some advantage. Wonder how often people who have a few in their yard for decoration get them stolen ?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
You may generate new traffic but its gonna be educated traffic..

Most people leave decoys out because they are just too lazy to pick em' up.

I dont get it, You would have to be deaf and blind to not know what type of people run the roads and feilds at night around here (ecspecially Q.A's Co.) Poachers and thieves. If that rig was 500 yards away it still would have been stolen somehow.

Poachers and theives just dont have anything to deter them from their actions unless they get caught and we know that rarely happens

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too true.

Poachers and theives just dont have anything to deter them from their actions unless they get caught and we know that rarely happens
Too true. I personally know several decent game wardens on the Eastern Shore, but they are stretched thin. I don't think the whole State Park/NRP reorganization fell short of expectations, and now on top of chasing rifle shots at night and checking duck stamps, the game wardens are responding to fender benders in State Park parking lots, and getting called out to housing developments full of McMansions because the new owners are sure some goose pit 1/2 a mile away is too close to be shooting.

So, I started this thread in the hopes that someone would know someone that just came into a "new" rig, and pass the info along. Unfortunately, they're probably long gone by now.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
They are certainly stretched thin. Wonder whats going to happen now that DNR is going to have an over haul under democratic policies??:rolleyes:

Anyhow I will keep my eyes and ears open for "new rigs" I know many hunters in Q.A's and am in constant contact with the waterfowl community...

Theives are low life SOB's any way you cut it...sickning.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I remember a few years back when I used to travel the bridge everyday....right at the intersection of 404 and 50. Whoever had that property or lease, must have left there spread out all the time.... It was in plain sight of everyone passing on Rt 50. However it seemed to stay in tack all year. I personally do not leave my spread out. We tend to leave 3-4 ducks out but thats it....I'm just to wary that they might disappear.

Boz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts