Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I get the hair on a bucktail just like you see in the tackle shops. Then I use it for trolling. Now what - how do I store the tandem rig without so that the bucktail hair will stay reasonably straight. What/how do you store your bucktails so that the hair remains reasonably straight?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
All mine are stored hanging off a 3/4" dowel in the garage if they are not in action

·
Registered
223 Posts
Tandem rigs storage for us......
We took an old milk crate
Cut 4 x 4 plastic hollow fence post into 10" section
Stick 9 of them in the crate (perfect fit)
Store tandem rigs hangin from top
Easy to wash down
No bleeding color
No banging heads together
Hand wind leader and rap with a rubber band, and drop into bottom, hang bait off the top....
Works great for us

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thats a pretty cool idea garry! I would just caution about one thing... if you are storing the rigs for a long time, do not use rubber bands. Over time, and especially when exposed to UV, and saltwater, the rubber bands will break down, and almost melt... turning into this gummy, nasty blob on your rigs. At least thats what happened to me with about 20 rigs... I had the colored rubber bands from staples, and then gummed up... I was not too happy, I can assure you!

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I like to rinse them off in a bucket of warm water with one squirt of Dawn.Swirl them around 2-3 times-then rinse in fresh water.Most times I shake them dry- this helps "fluff" the hair.

Another trick is to push the shad body tight up against the hair- this helps the bucktail flair out.

Never/ever wash them off in bleach- I ruin a few when I tried to clean them :eek2:.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is gay, but I also use a cheap plastic comb to comb out the hair. I have a buddy who's a charter mate who uses hair detangler after combing them out.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I always carry a brush, when you get a fish in the lures are all messed up. Run the brush thru it and send it back out. I usually cut the leaders off before storing, it only takes a few minutes to rig back up the night before a trip. Then I know all the stuff is fresh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts