Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to store eels on a boat for fishing? Also, what is the easiest and simplest way to rig them? I heard use a three way rig with a 5/0 hook in the mouth. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sometimes i hook them up through the mouth then out one of the eyes then there are other times i cut some of the tail off then hook them through the tail so they swim away from the hook as not to ball up on the hook and leader ..... that can cause a real mess

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I use two 5-gallon buckets. The "inside" one has a bunch of 1/4 holes drilled in the bottom for water (melted ice) to drain out of... into the second bucket. Put in the eels, put on some ice to slow'em down and you're done. If you put'em in a bucket w/ice they'll drown when the ice melts.

Rigging - KISS. I use an egg sinker above a barrel swivel (inline weight will do). Leader to your hook of choice. I like to either hook'em in the tai if drifting... or in the mouth and out his eye if slow trolling or anchored.

·
Registered
352 Posts
eels

Put them in a bucket and lay a wet, (not drinched) rag on top of them.

For rigging. You can live line them with no weight and hook them from bottom to top of the mouth with a #5 Gimagotsu Octipus circle hook or J

OR

Three way swivle with 5' of leader 30 -50 lb. tied to the same style hook and use about 8' of line from the swivle to the weight... 3, 4, 5, 6 oz of weight. You don't want the eel to be about the get into the rocks just stay just above them. Then set the draw very light and place in the rod holder. When the fish hits it,,, LET IT TAKE IT FOR AT LEAST 5 TO 8 SEC., remember, the fish has to eat it. When you hear you drag going,,, the fish is only taking it to another place to eat it.... Biggest thing to remember,,,, WAIT AT LEAST 5 TO 8 SEC. before even thinging about setting the hook.
Good luck, have fun, and don't suck.....:fishing2::clap::fishing2:

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Put them in a small cooler or five gallon bucket with a small bag of ice in the bottom-cover the ice with a rag. They become dormant and are therefore easy to handle and get on the hook. Once in the water, they become lively right away. If trolling, I hook them under the chin and up thru one eye. Live baiting in a running current---the same set up. When anchored up, I set them below a bobber or free swimming, either this set up or thru the tail about four inches from the end (this prevents line entanglement).

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only thing I would add to all of that good advice would be to be sure to bring some rags or towels to use when grabbing the eels, they are very slippery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts