Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[with apologies: I'm sure this has been covered in older threads on TF, but searching for "Blood Worms" and "alive" doesn't exactly produce a short list of past thread]

Like everybody else east of the Appalachian mountains, I've been livelining for the past few weeks. And like most of the crowd, we have been having great success, which I intend to keep repeating.

Each week I stop by Tylers (*see note below) in Chesapeake Beach, take out a second mortgage, and buy a dozen bloodworms. With my favorite spot spot being reliable, even with a crowd onboard my 21' boat, with using a 50/50 mix of FishBites, I end up using 3 or 4 worms max.

I know I'm headed out in a week. Can I keep the worms alive and relatively healthy till then?
With my wife out of town:eek2: , I can keep the worms in the refrigerator if that helps. With zero suggestions from the anyone, I started by opening the baggie, so the worms and their batch of seaweed are cold and open to the regrigerator air.

1) will this work for a week?
2) do I have to "water" them or do anything else?
3) is there anything better I should do, besides resigning myself to buy more worms next weekend?

*first, apologies to Georgie for the crack about worm prices. Tylers prices are no worse than anyone elses, and better than lots. Plus the location, advice, general atmosphere and friendly help at Tylers are absolutely fantastic.

*Second, I've read posts whining about puny skinny bloodworms bought elsewhere. I have found this NOT to be at all true with the worms from Tylers. I can't compare them with the size of worms "back in the day", when the stories have them being a foot long, fat as your thumb, and a nickel each (unlike fish, all good fishing stories improve with age). But every worm I have pulled out of a Tylers baggie has been great. I have no idea what Georgie has to do to find 'the good 'uns, but week after week thats what I get there.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Here is my solution for keeping bloodworms alive for up to 3 weeks. I just finished off a dozen that I purchased the last week of June.

When I buy the bloodworms I immediately dump them and the seamoss out of their original bag an into a zip lock bag. I then place the zip lock bag full of worms and their seamoss into a brown lunch sack. Put in the fridge.

Then take them fishing keeping them cool in your cooler and don't let them get smashed by anything.

When you get back home put them back in the fridge again in their zip lock bag placed in a lunch bag.

During the week, when you aren't fishing, once per day open both bags and let a little bit of fresh air in. Also, when you put the bag back into the fridge, roll the bag over to the opposite side of where it was stored previously. Effectively placing the worms on top of the seamoss. Do this once per day, even if you forget to open the bags for fresh air.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeh, legal disclaimer follows... I cannot be held responsible if your wife or kids accidentally grab that brown lunch bag and take it to the office or school thinking they have their peanut butter and jelly sandwich inside. :confused:

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I've kept them alive for 2 weeks with a little preperation. #1 rule with bloods is not to let any fresh water touch them, it's almost immediate death. This usually happens in a cooler when melting ice comes in contact with them. #2 rule is to keep them as cold as possible without actually freezing them. 35*F to 38*F is the perfect temp.

When you buy them they'll come in a plastic bag with some moist grass. Leave the min that bag but put that bag inside of a qt. Zip Loc freezer bag. Take the qt. freezer bag and put it inside of a brown paper lunch bag, the heavy type is the best.

When storing them in the frig turn the bag over a few time a day, this keeps the worms aired inside the plastic bag. I have a smaller (12 can size) cooler that only use for bloods when I take them from the frig. I take a gal size Zip Loc freezer bag and fill it with ice. Lay the bag in the bottom of the cooler. Sit your brown paper bag of worm and sit it on top of the ice. Place another ga. Zip Loc freezer of ice on top of that.

When using the worms only take out what you're going to use. It's best to leave the brown bag in the cooler and take from there. Remember to reseal the the worm bags. When you're finished fishing for the day place the brown bag back in the frig and start the whole thing over forthe next day.

Last August I kept 5 dz alive and perfectly healthy for 10 days while on vacation but I have kept them for two weeks.

BTW it's critical to start with the best blood you can find. I only buy my bloods from Tochtermans on Eastern Avenue in Fells Point. You won't find bloods any better anywhere. When you get them here they will be hand picked and placed in a small box lined with a moistened paper towel. Leave them in the box just as you would as if they were in a plactic bag. just see Dee the worm lady.

Hope this has answered your question..

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I have kept them alive for a couple of weeks doing what mantaulk17 does.(minus the paper bag).

I did a experiment last year. I took a few out of a bag I had just bought and salted them down, (kosher salt) wrapped them in plastic wrap, put them in a baggie and froze them.

I pulled them out a couple of weeks later and used them. I caught Spot and Croaker with them just as well as if they were fresh.

The Spot were really running so that may have contributed to my success. I am going to try it again this year and see what happens.

Dennis:))

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
This is a very good post. Thanks Abter1 for starting it. I learn so much from this forum. Not letting the blood touch fresh water in the cooler was something I didn't know (makes sense). Setting up the small cooler for the bloods (bait in general) really solves an inconvenience I have been experiencing, namely, opening up the big drink/lunch cooler just to get bait.

Thanks gentlemen,

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I remember a while back someone posted about putting salt on them and keeping them for a couple weeks. Not sure of the exact procedure he used but it may be worth a try. I think it was a mate the put up the post

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
A tip on using the cooler is to pre-cool it. If I have room in the freezer I open the cooler and put it in the freezer overnight. If there isn't room in the freezer use the frig. If both are too full for the cooler just fill the cooler with ice the night before. Starting with a cold cooler goes a long way especially when the temp in the 90's.

One final tip on using the cooler is when you're transporting in you car or truck put the cooler on the floor in front of the front passanger seat. This is probably the coolest sport in the vehicle unless you have SUV with dual air controls. In my Expedition I put it right under one of the air vents.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
---Remove from the Sealing Action of PLASTIC ---Put worms & Kelp material in a large Stryfom coffee cup & Cap em ----Turn daily --worms free to move up & down in cup--on the expected day of thier Death ( A trip)--turn cup big end down,night before --Take Lid off they will be ready for your easy choice ----If by chance ya keep em long enough, give em names & SS numbers---geo.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
The bloodworms would outlive me if my wife ever learned that I kept them in the fridge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember a while back someone posted about putting salt on them and keeping them for a couple weeks. Not sure of the exact procedure he used but it may be worth a try. I think it was a mate the put up the post
Someone can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe it has to be non-ionized salt or pickling salt if you are going to preserve them with salt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts