Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does everyone rig up their Storm or like baits? I am rigging mine up as follows: Main line to a 3-way with a 3-4 foot leader to sinker or mojo and a 8 foot leader to another 3-way with a 3 foot leader to a Storm and another 6 foot leader to a storm. Just wondering if this is in the ball park or if anyone is doing something different. Thanks.

Biglee

·
Registered
191 Posts
jenna hit it right on the head. I do as she said, only thing i might do differently sometimes is make the storm leader about 15ft but it's all personal preferance

·
Registered
95 Posts
I usually run my tandems with different weighted parachutes. I use the Storms for my WWB baits rigged as singles. Sure they would work fine on a tandem, though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Percy, I haven't used them too much but it sounds like they are the ticket right now so I wanted to make sure I was rigging correctly. I have been doing fine until the last couple of short trips and I am starting to get that smell in the boat!

As to the mojo, I use mojos for my weight most of the time. I will use from 16 to 32 ozs. depending on water depth and what spreads I have out. Always like to mix things up if I can until I find what works.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You can use Storms most any way. Trailer behind mojo as noted above. Can use as single with inline sinker of various weights depending on where you want to be in the water column. They make small ones you can use instead of a bucktail when casting to fish on top. Very effective that way last year. I also use a storm off a 3 way with a 6-8oz bucktail. How have people been doing putting a Gulp on a bucktail instead of sassy shad or curly tail? Hey Jenna.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey bigee this your neighbor. I am up in Winchester right now and looking at the weather up here and down there, I'm not missing anything over the next few days. Anyway back to the topic. Believe it or not, I have been fishing Storms and Calcuttas (natural bunker color) 15 feet behind #2 and #3 planers and doing well when I can find the bait balls. I've caught more fish using the Calcuttas than the Storms.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Question for K9Judge

I like your idea of running the lures off of#2 and #3 planers, but have a few questions. When rigging the lure, do you tie directly to the lure or use a snap of some kind? Does the leader material matter (80# floro Carbon leader)? And fnally, what size storm or callcutta works with the planers without tripping them?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don, you are right you aren't missing anything but rain right now. I had thought about the planners. I was using them with rattle traps earlier and doing pretty well, may have to give it a try. Ya'll be safe in your travels.

Also, thought is was odd to see so many teenagers at your house with the music really loud and beer bottles everywhere!:D:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey bigee thanks for the info. but you tattled on my wife. She is still there til tomorrow. She must be throwing a big party while I'm gone.

To answer the other question, I usually tie a 5 or 6 inch storm or calcutta directly to my leader. On the end of my primary line I tie a snap swivel, attach that to the planer. I then attach my leader to the planer with another snap swivel. That has done a good job preventing line twist. I use 50 lb. clear mono for my leaders. Rockfish aren't as finicky as spanish macs so I can get by without using flourocarbon this time of year. The only problem with fishing planers is you have to make very wide turns or the planer will drop to the bottom and trip. Fishing this way is allot easier to reel in those big fish cause you aren't pulling on allot of dead sinker weight or an umbrella. If the fish go way deep, beyond what a #3 can get which is about 35 feet, you have to switch to the heavy mojo or drop sinker. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts