Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try trolling a couple stretch 25 plugs.Using 40lb. mono how far back do I need to run them?I would also like to know what colors work well this time of year? Thank You

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have been running them this year and they have ti be way way back because they wander so bad, i have white with red head , chartruese and black and purple., i have 18, and 25's with braid they run true to depth

·
Registered
214 Posts
Samuels,
Red and white has produced well on the river this year. I put a 39" in the boat this year with one, I know of two 42" and two more 39" caught on red and whites on the Rapp this season. I usually run "one" way back.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Stretch 30's have been the best producer for me this year including 2 of a 4 fish limit today on the Lower Potomac. See my post. WTFB is the answer as they do tend to tangle with the other rigs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like to run mine way back however I use 20lb mono on a flexible rod with a level wind. The flexible rod helps set the lure. When I began rockfishing in the bay I tried using 30lb mono on a 3 0 penn senator rod and it wouldn't bend the rod and the lure would release and pop up. Just my two cents. My favorite color is blue and chartruse. Been using the same one for 15 yrs. Had to replace the hooks last yr. This particular lure runs true, but others do run side to side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use to run stretches but then i decided i wanted to run 9-13 rods and stretches dont run worth a **** in a large spread no matter how far you run them back ive caught in the past 3 years 30 fish over 40 lbs and 8 fish over 50 using 12-8 20-12 32-5 tandem pacman parrachutes and umbrella rigs

·
Registered
337 Posts
Fshnr8r I'm impressed with that report! My boat's a 20 fter and 4 rods is all I can run. Would you run 4 tandem rigs and no stretches. The stretch has always been my old faithful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:thumbup::rockon:pulled everything in the boat today with no knock downs . we put on 1 strech 25 and we couldnt get the fish off the line fast enough , limited out in a hour and a half with 4 upper scale slots and a though back double up at the end . all and all strech is the way to go

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to say a special thanks to everyone for their insights.The information you gave me will really help.Good Luck To Everyone

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had really good luck running a Chartreuse umbrella WTFB (200 ft) and a red and white stretch inside of that at 150 feet. (I think that's the distance that puts them down 25 feet...regardless it's inside the umbrella.) I mark the line on the reels to take the guess work out of my guests work. I have two down riggers with one usually committed to a 9 inch storm and the other a wild card. If the fishing is slow, or I have a really good crew, I'll run two wild card baits out between the down riggers and stretches...like buctails. Just one guy's approach.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The two largest rockfish I've ever caught were on a chartreuse stretch 30. You can tune a stretch to run straight or to one side by slightly bending the eye on the diving bill. They don't always run straight right out of the box and there are definitely times it's good to have them run wide to one side. Storm makes a similar bait that works equally as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing... I really like using braid rather than mono. With a smaller diameter and zero line stretch, braid cuts thru the water better and the stretch plug will run a little deeper than mono with the same amount of line out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't pull any Strech's though I used to alot, have a box full of them. I pull 10-12 lines and use boards, most with tandems. Each time it gets slow and I try something different like a Stretch I get lines fouled up really bad and get pissed again. BTW, I saw that Stetch 50, you'd have to back up to it to pull it in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when you pull the stretch behind the boat how do you do it? Do you just tie it on the end of the pole and let it swim or do you use it in conjunction with other things?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts