Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across this interesting post on the "Fishing Spot"; a message board for the Hampton Roads area. Covers LL with eel techniques, some new studies on Striper mortality as a result of C&R in the winter, Pop-up satellite tags and more. Good read.
Striped Bass Article - HRTownSquare.com

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Interesting article. I am glad all eight big stripers caught on eels survived the study. I do not think the author's conclusion is warranted, however, with a population of just eight fish. I do think winter fish in the ocean have the best possible chance of surviving C & R. The cold temps and high salinity help the fish greatly. Like to see a study with many more fish. It could be very revealing.

I have fished the CBBT area regularly since 2000 and am not aware of any fish on my boat not surviving the release.

The eight reporting tags included four from each hook type and included both of the deep, J-hooked fish. All eight fish survived the catch-and-release experience. While the J-hooks did have a greater chance of hooking deeply, it did not matter as to survivability in this small study. The 100% survival of the reporting fish indicates that Virginia's trophy striped bass fishery is a sustainable fishery. Barring further studies, there does not appear to be any reason to change current regulations.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I would think those eel-caught fish would be more stressed than fish caught by LTJ or trolling. I'm also glad to hear they all survived and would like to see more studies like this.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I was following this study on the Virginia board last winter. I think Jerry Grimes(TFer)was involed in the tagging. Very interesting study. I think the tags cost a couple thousand each, hense the low study #'s. Even with only ten "subjects", I still tkink this is good info.

Bill

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the same or a similiar article is in the new Fisherman mag
You are correct. It is a reprint from The Fisherman. I hadn't caught that in the caption in the posting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts