Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CCA ALERT

INFORMATIONAL ALERT ON WHICH YOU MAY WISH TO ACT

Public Hearing at VMRC October 28th at 12 Noon

VMRC to Consider Striped Bass Regulation Options for 2008
NOTICE
"VI. CHAPTER 4VAC20-252-10 ET SEQ., "PERTAINING TO THE TAKING OF
STRIPED BASS"
"The Commission proposes modifications to the upcoming December 2008 Chesapeake Bay recreational striped bass fishery. Currently, the regulation establishes a 1-fish limit, from December 10 through December 31, and that one fish shall measure either 18 through 28 inches or 34 inches or greater in total length. The Commission will consider options that lessen the number of days of the 1-fish limit, establish a 2-fish limit for December 10 through December 31, or maintain the current provisions of the regulation for December 10 through December 31."

Chesapeake Bay Quota
The Interstate Fisheries Management Plan for Striped Bass (February 2003)
Amendment 6 implements a separate management program for the Chesapeake Bay due to the size availability of striped bass in this area. A Bay-wide quota for resident striped bass is established for the Chesapeake Bay and shares are allocated to Maryland, Virginia, and the PRFC. In 2007, the Bay-wide quota of 9,479,441 pounds was allocated among the three jurisdictions. (Based on historical harvest, Maryland is allocated ~52%, PRFC ~15%, and Virginia ~33%). Each jurisdiction then apportions its quota between recreational and commercial fisheries (Table 9). In 2007, the Bay-wide harvest was over one million pounds less than the Bay-wide quota.

The three scenarios that will be considered in the October 28th public hearing at VMRC:
a) Shorten the 22-day period when a 1-fish limit is in effect.
b) Establish a 2-fish limit from December 10 through December 31, thus allowing a 2-fish limit throughout December.
c) Maintain the status quo: 2008 regulations will be the same as 2007, a 1-fish limit from December 10 through December 31.
Changes to other restrictions from the 2007 season, are not under consideration and would remain in effect:
Chesapeake Bay Fall Season - October 4 through December 31
Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
Maximum Size Limit ........................................................... 28 inches*
* One fish of the 2-fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.
Other Virginia restrictions: Anglers may not combine possession limits when seasons overlap, or when fishing in multiple jurisdictions. Gaffing striped bass, or attempting to gaff striped bass, is illegal in Virginia marine waters.
Federal water striped bass regulations: Atlantic Ocean waters beyond the 3 mile limit are closed to the taking and possession of striped bass all year.

Inasmuch as the 2007 harvest was 1 million pounds below the target for the entire Chesapeake Bay, and because increased fuel prices and an uncertain economy have curtailed fishing activity so far in 2008, there appears little risk of over-harvesting this year. Accordingly, there is a great deal of support for option (b) which allows a 2-fish limit throughout the entire month of December.

CCA VA also recommends the use of non-offset circle hooks when fishing with bait or live bait for striped bass to eliminate the chance of injuring or killing fish that are to be released. A non-offset circle hook is one with the point turned perpendicular back to the shank.

CCA Virginia urges you to comment on your preference for the 2008 December striped bass fishery. You should send your comments by October 24th so that they can be considered at the October 28th Commission meeting. Your comments can be e-mailed, faxed, or mailed to the Virginia Marine Resources Commission using the information below.

E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 757-247-8101
Mail:
Attn. Jack Travelstead
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Newport News, VA 23607

Please include your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address so that your comments can be validated by VMRC. If you use e-mail, please copy your comments to [email protected]

This Angler Alert was provided as a public service by the Coastal Conservation Association Virginia (CCA VA). Feel free it to forward it to your associates. If you have any comments concerning this issue, or would like to have your name added/removed from the distribution list send an email to [email protected]. The stated purpose of CCA is to advise and educate the public on conservation of marine resources. CCA VA is a 501 C-3 charitable organization whose goal is CPR for fish…Conserve, Protect and Restore marine resources for the benefit of all Virginians. Please visit our website located at Welcome to Coastal Conservation Association Virginia for more information.

Frank A. Kearney III Co-Chairman CCA VA Fisheries Management Committee [email protected]
Larry Snider Co-Chairman CCA VA Fisheries Management Committee
[email protected]

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
b

and I have been told that more than likely this is what it will be......95% sure of it

Inasmuch as the 2007 harvest was 1 million pounds below the target for the entire Chesapeake Bay, and because increased fuel prices and an uncertain economy have curtailed fishing activity so far in 2008, there appears little risk of over-harvesting this year. Accordingly, there is a great deal of support for option (b) which allows a 2-fish limit throughout the entire month of December.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's my opinion that more fish are caught / released with the slot in effect thus the overall mortality goes up. The 2 fish greater than 18" is better for the fisherman and the fishery.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
mike, joe and fish$lips...your opinions are requested by VMRC...be sure you voice your opinions. The small ad hoc committee and the small numbers of folks that are involved with the settingof the rules and regulations would like to hear different points of view...so be sure that you not only express them publicly here, but that your address your concerns to Jack Travelstead as the alert suggested.

Bob Allen
VA Council of Angling Clubs & Pen Salt Water Sport Fish Asso.

PS: thank CCA/VA and their Fisheries Management team (headed by Frank Kearney of Hampton and PSWSFA ) for putting together & publishing the CCA -Alert for all of the rest of recreational anglers to make comments !!.

RBA

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's my opinion that more fish are caught / released with the slot in effect thus the overall mortality goes up. The 2 fish greater than 18" is better for the fisherman and the fishery.
Yes I agree but that is not on the table at this time. No regs are being changed just how many fish and when you can catch them is all that is on the table at this time.

I say B

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
The slot is a good thing, that's why were are where we are. KEEP THE SLOT :yes:

·
Registered
633 Posts
We are where we are is because of gas price and alot of people curtailed their fishing activities. My neigbor sold his boat because it was not worth it to go out and only keep one big fish at the cost of fuel. Screw that slot limt. At what fuel cost we need to harvest as effeciently as we can and get the most for our money, not 1 fish over 34" and no fish between 28 ' and 34". go back to 2 fish over 18" period!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Voice Concern

:thumbup:Hey Bob,
Thanks for the Heads Up.!
I went back and did just what you recommended.

Joe
CHESSIE 22

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
I get a good chuckle when I hear people reasoning the cost of fuel for the recovery of fish and even more laughs when I hear people blaming Rockfish regs for the reason they sold their boats. :rolleyes:

I can't see any reason why one would want to do away with the slot and want to keep fish between 28-34........ there are all the fish you want under and over, give 'em a break let some grow and mature for cryin' out loud !!!!! :surrender:

SAVE THE SLOT

·
Registered
647 Posts
I vote for keeping 2 fish per person the whole season. When there is a 1 fish limit
I believe the mortality rate increases from smaller fish being caught and released.

Capt. Tom
Miss Ella Charters

·
Registered
693 Posts
While I never feel good about supporting a Capitals fan, AMEN BRIAN!! Keep the slot, it is working...any one read the main board about the lower than expected levels of reproduction with the Striped bass this year?

·
Registered
633 Posts
While I never feel good about supporting a Capitals fan, AMEN BRIAN!! Keep the slot, it is working...any one read the main board about the lower than expected levels of reproduction with the Striped bass this year?
Yep and if you beleive that you are very gulable. Let me show you my gill net sometime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts