Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the bad weather front moved in yesterday many boats found themselves fishing outside the three mile line for striped bass. Boats were identified as charter boats and recreational fishing boats from the states of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware according to the boat registration numbers that were recorded. Some boats appeared to be catch and releasing and some appear to have kept fish and returned to ports along the Atlantic coast. The name of the boat owner on the boat registration will ultimately be held accountable. Crew who are engaging in fishing can also be held accountable with photo or video evidence if identifiable.

Keeping striped bass outside of 3 miles of any size is illegal. Keeping in the no take zone and returning to port is a federal offense.

Catch and release striped bass fishing is illegal outside the three mile limit. You may not harass striped bass beyond three miles. Claiming you are blue or another species fishing is not a valid argument. If you have been recorded removing striped bass from the water and taking photographs of striped bass and then returning to fish that area and catching more striped bass you are guilty.

Words can be denied or questioned, photos and video with verifiable gps coordinates of where the photos or video was recorded can be confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If you fish for striped bass beyond the three mile limit you have engaged in an illegal activity. With evidence you can be federally prosecuted and any tackle, truck, trailer or other gear witnessed and recorded being used in the act of engaging in that illegal activity can be confiscated at the time or future time when charges are filed. If you engage in the illegal activity and use a motor vehicle and trailer to remove your watercraft that you used to engage in that illegal activity, those items now become part of the crime. The registered owner according to the license plate will be held accountable. If you use a friends motor vehicle and trailer you are putting them at risk of losing their asset.

If you engage in fishing for striped bass and keep them to weigh in at a tournament you are participating, the tournament owner can also prosecute you.

If you do not engage in this activity you have nothing to concern yourself. If you have engaged in this activity over the last year or are considering this an option for the future you have and will most likely be observed and recorded. The evidence will be turned over to the proper authorities and if allowed by law released to media outlets.

At a time when the striped bass populations are in question we as a society can no longer afford to have illegal fishing activities. The three mile limit for striped bass fishing was created for a reason, to protect them. We need to protect them so they exist in the future.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You a cop? If not, your time playing at cop might be better spent if you were to take your cameras and GPS to the streets to catch the thieves and murders that are running our streets. If you have dreams of being a cop, maybe you should make the sacrifice, put in the time and put it on the line by openly wearing a badge instead of hiding behind an anonymous posing.

I thought that this was a friendly forum. Being that, I would expect that the most we would see would be a friendly reminder of the law, not threats. We're here to share, learn, and have fun, not be chastised.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I think it serves as a good reminder to keep honest folks honest. I know many who have succumb to the darkside (recs and charters) who used to be honest, law-abiding anglers. So a reminder every now and again does no harm. I do wish there were not so many poachers as the more who are doing it makes it tempting to those who have not but are thinking about it. I wish enforcement was better and fines steeper but the fact remains that charters and recs both poach stripers in the EEZ and they believe the risks are worth it.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
mike you know this has been beat to death. fish EYES do a search for posts like this & you'll see about a million. everyone knows right from wrong & i just hate to see any bickering pop back up after the recent peace & quiet. how bout we just fish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love to fish,
If you are not fishing outside three miles for striped bass you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I did not mean to offend anyone, if I offended those breaking the law I did because now there will be accountability for actions. Given the extensive reach that this site has with it's readership and belief that some of those breaking the law may monitor the site is what prompted this thread.

Striped bass are a public resource, the abuse that has gone on with people stealing the public resource has gone on long enough. Striped bass populations are in trouble, we need to protect them.

The law is not a threat, it is a law. If you are breaking the law the law becomes a threat because of the repercussions that it spells out. If you are law abiding there is no threat.

As a friendly site I would think that you would support this initiative and not be angry at the initiative to halt this illegal activity that is going on right in our own back yard.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Cheers to Tony lets just fish. IF someone is stupid enough to fish otuside thats their problem but as far as im concerned Im worried about me and what im catching.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tonydivefish,

Thank you for your reply. I've witnessed this topic on this site over the years. What has not been witnessed or read is people who are breaking the law being brought to justice to stop stealing from the public resource that we all own and enjoy. I did not start this thread to be an argument. You are right that most know the law, but some citizens do not. Those that break the law should be held accountable.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Here is the deal. I, Al and the other moderators that help out on TidalFish.com, have made a real effort and worked hard over the last year to moderate the boards better and keep them fun and friendly. I believe we have achieved that and want to end the year on a high note.

This topic is an annual topic that sparks passion. A reminder about things is fine, but this will be the only thread about this subject allowed in this forum. All other discussion about this topic if it pops up, which in my many years of moderation seems to happen when something gets on a roll, will get moved to the Tidal Fish Conservation and Policy Forum .

Thank you for your understanding and support.:fishing2:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Fisheyes ,
Looks like your New th the TF site.. Though I applaud your Post I would be careful what you put out here.. You may cut your Life line of Fishing Information being so Bold..
Fishing outside the 3 mile line is no New topic as stated above. Everyone who goes past it know's what can Happen. Sooner or Later you'll get Busted if you stray... Its Not up to You nor me to Enforce the Law.. The State already has Officers who Know their Job duties.. Unless your One of them and this a Thread Warning to all as a Freindly reminder
I would let it Ride.. I've been close to the line and Watched Birds Diving outside the line and saw how many boats Broke the law.. I sat and Watched shaken my head ... Its not up to me to Piss off all the Capt out there. They take the Risk .. If caught its not worth it , if Not thier Clients will surely come back ... a real Catch 22 ( No Pun Inteneded)..... The Enforcement is there and its up to them to decide what actions to take...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
FishEyes, I agree with the sentiment of your post and agree that some will not heed the law...but just for the record, are you now or have you ever been affiliated with any local, state or federal law enforcement agency or marine fisheries regulatory enforcement organization? Your post comes off pretty strong...most of your accusations sound or come off as first person recounts...were YOU the one filming? Were YOU present and witnessed during the filming? If not how do you have first hand knowledge of this? Or is this hearsay? I agree the feds and locals need to do more enforcement of the law as it stands but at the same time I do not agree with the law...for the record I'm a former cop and HAVE NEVER violated the 3 mile limit...I believe in the rule of law. I believe that the Striped bass needs to be managed properly and the first step to that is to manage Omega Proteins as well. Increased forage=Increased Striper populations the data supports it...the waning Striper numbers we are seeing are NOT from over fishing or fishing outside the 3 mile limit...the lower numbers are due to reduced numbers of their #1 forage fish menhaden...

Correct and rein in Omega then eliminate the EEZ...my 2 cents

Capt Beach

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blueyzwaitn,

I have been a registered member since 2002, if that makes me new to this site, then I accept the designation. Your well heeded warning is acknowledged. If you choose as a citizen to not report a crime that is your prerogative, but citizens also retain the right to report and record a crime if witnessed. The next time you witness boats fishing outside three miles think about the fact they are stealing a resource of which you share in ownership. If the resource is taken outside the line it can not relocated to inside the line for you to experience. The enforcement that you quote may be there, but where are all the charges if this is so rampant as you, others and myself witness. Isn't it about time these crimes are documented, reported and charges brought forward or should it be allowed to continue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Fish, do you video and report all of the speeders you encounter on the highway each day? Lives are on the line....you should really think about doing that if you don't already. The highway resources belong to ALL of us and we need to protect our resource and each other from the speeders who might end up costing lives in thier haste to reach thier daily desination. If you don't already, please consider doing this. All you have to do is report their license tags to the proper authorities. I value human life over the life of a fish any day (I'm sure you do as well). Your time could be better spent on the highway rather than on the water since you could actually end up saving human lives on the highway rather than worrying about where other people fish.

I don't condone fishing over the imaginary line but let's not be hypocritical......Unless you report every crime you witness each day........:yes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Truth to be heard. He probably had lines in with the rest of the fleet. It's hard to hold a camera and a rod at the same time...What makes me sick.. Last year I ran out of the OI. Look in the water and seen thousands of floating stripers.All just below 28". Followed the trail and seen the netting boats throwing them out to die.. How is that helping the problem? If something needs to be fixed its them.. Change the law for them.. Catch their weight of any size fish and go home.. Don't kill 10 thousand to get 5 thousand keepers. Again beating a dead horse.... But it still upsets me. Fish eyes: Pull the fish out and open your eyes..It's not the guides and the locals hurting them its the netters and menhaden Fleet... Just my 2cents.... Reposition the camera......

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Messin with Livelyhoods is Not recomended.. I don't turn my back to Law Breakers. If I see a Violation Off Water that requires a Call to the Law then I do so. Out on the Big Pond however holding a Video Camera pointing it at Boats that have Crossed the line .. 1st Not sure how you can Prove where you are on Film, 2nd you have Numbers on your Boat that pretty much Identifies you.. All Im saying is Be careful .....Your Messin with things You may Not Comprehend.. Its a Hard Life making a Living as a Charter Boat Capt.. Don't make it that Much harder when there are Enforcements out there already... You Ready to be the Star Witness.. Not Me Brother..
I don't condone the ones who cross the line but they make the choice to do so and its a Gamble... I'm pretty sure they know whats at Stake.. My Taxes pay for the Enforcement and so do yours .. Let that Money fix the issue..
Under your Name it says new Tf'r'.. Sorry I thought you were New out here. ..

Again I do Agree with your Comments and in no way do I feel your outta line.. Just play it safe is all I can say..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fishing laws

Fish EYES,

I stand by my statement. Your post is more than just stating the law. I am new to striper fishing and coastal fishing in general, but I as most everyone else, know the laws well enough and understand the risks I take if I decide to break them.

Funny thing, I just had a talk about making the right decisions with my 5-year old. The lesson is that dad cannot make him make the right decisions. He has to do that on his own and deal with the consequences if he decides to break the rules of our society and the laws of our governments. Of course, he got that lecture because he is having troubles making his own decisions.

Your post reminds me of when I was in the military and our superiors would subject everybody to soapbox recriminations because of the bad behaviour of a few. Something has to be done about poaching, but I think that if you really want to help enforce the laws, do it. Address those who break the law, not the general community. I do not fish illegally and do not support it. Still, I don't expect to find someone playing daddy here where I come to share in something that is a source of fun and distraction from the stresses of life.

Love to fish,
If you are not fishing outside three miles for striped bass you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I did not mean to offend anyone, if I offended those breaking the law I did because now there will be accountability for actions. Given the extensive reach that this site has with it's readership and belief that some of those breaking the law may monitor the site is what prompted this thread.

Striped bass are a public resource, the abuse that has gone on with people stealing the public resource has gone on long enough. Striped bass populations are in trouble, we need to protect them.

The law is not a threat, it is a law. If you are breaking the law the law becomes a threat because of the repercussions that it spells out. If you are law abiding there is no threat.

As a friendly site I would think that you would support this initiative and not be angry at the initiative to halt this illegal activity that is going on right in our own back yard.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts