Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go striper fishing this season and would appreciate any basic advise, tips, hints. What bait, how deep, how fast, where, when ect. I run Robinson Creek on the Rapp. My boat clutches in at 5 kts, is that slow enough? Can I catch striper at the bridge? How about around Windmill / Stingray? What is the prefered lure? I purchased some stretch 25's and some "storm" rubber shad, will they work? Can I just troll them as is astern or will I need something to get them down deeper. Again I am a newbee fisherman, (been boating for 30 plus years/ power and sail) any help will be greatly appreciated.

John "BELLA VIDA"

·
Registered
109 Posts
when you get time, go by queens creek or j&w seafood in deltaville. they can give you all the info you need and you need a lot to really catch stripers. they will take time with you and i am sure they will sell you what you need
frog

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frog,

I will head down to Deltaville this week.

Is a trolling speed of 5.5kts going to be to fast?

John

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yes 5.5 K is a bit too fast. You will do much better at 3.5K. Put out a sea anchor or a big bucket behind the boat to slow you down if you are having trouble hooking up. These big rockfish are somewhat lazy and don't seem to want to chase a fast moving bait.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Why are you intent on only trolling? That's like a hitter at the plate only bunting. You can chunk, you can jig, you can cast Tony Acetta's at likely structure. Look for old building's rubble, sunk boats, big docks, points, dropoffs. The stretch lures do go deep, you could also hook up some flat line clips at your stern to make 'em go deeper. Or use wire and an inline sinker. A Mojo is big, heavy, and deep. Alotta guys troll umbrella rigs in the fall.
Good luck. We caught about 60 the last 3 days...me on the helm and the tackle, 2 other adults and 2 kids. Insane. Oh, by the way, NONE were caught trolling.
Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you the dead rise that has been at Mosquito Point beach this year. Someone has had a nice one over at the beach, looks cool to see one used for a pleasure boat.[grin]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply mchar, Brians Boat,

mchar: I am open to more than trolling, just trying to get a plan together for fall fishing. I am open to any method, where did you cath those 60 fish? You mentioned fishing structure; how is fall striper fishing around the Rapp River bridge?

Brians Boat: It was not my boat you saw (there is a guy up by me that runs a 30 footer "Miss Pamela" down river). I have been waiting for four months to get my Documention papers returned. Missed alot of time on the river. It felt good to get U/W this weekend.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey 36D
I've caught some nice stripers in the Towles Pt. area of
the Rapp. and also in the Greenvale creek area the last few
years. My best results are from a Mojo/anything combination.
You will want to troll as slow as possible.
Tom

·
Registered
496 Posts
36deadrise--Welcome to the Rapp! I've used StormShads (6" peanut bunker color) around buoys 10, 11, 12 in the Fall with better results th an anything else I've tried. Every fish caught , when gutted, had identical size peanut bunker in stomach. Match the hatch seems to work! [grin]

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
there are people who you can hire to go fishing with you on your boat. they can show you where, how, and when as well as set up your tackle to fit your needs.

there is none nicer or better then our own Capt dave who posted above.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies; Rappahannockman, Creekster, Rocksandblues.

Rappahannockman; Towles Pt and Greenvale Creek, thats good news, I thought I would have to run a ways to get to the fish.

Creekster; Is that 10,11,12 up around Belle Isle? Again, thats good news, practically in my back yard.

Rocksandblues; I hope with the advise of this board I can avoid paying Capt Dave.....If things don't work out I just may have to give him some buisness

Whats biting on the Rappahannock now (anything beside Croaker and Spot) ? I am going to be out this weekend and would like to catch somethig different.

Thanks again to all who replied

John

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Try the bar for Spaniards early and late in the day. Get on the north side and troll over the drop off. 19' - 32' is the ticket. Good luck and report back as I will be out of town this weekend and viewing only.

Feeshon aboard the Jezebel II

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Feeshon;

"Try the bar for Spaniards early and late in the day"

Is that Windmill Pt Bar, Rapahannock Spit you are talking about?

Early / late day, does tide matter or is time of day most important?

How about weather; if it's blowing or raining this weekend will it still be worth the trip?

As for bait; Troll spoons? What speed am I looking for.

Thanks for the info.

John

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
36deadrise, you are right, you need a lot of help. Like one of the other posters said, you can hire me to go with you on your boat to help you learn some of what you ought to know to be successful. I do that sort of thing from time to time for other anglers. If you might be interested, bmail me your name and phone number and I'll give you a call.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey 36Deadrise,
Where are you in Robinsons Creek? I'm right there in Bethpage on the M&M Parker. Give me a shout when you see me. I think I can help you out with the Rockfish.

Ray

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
You might want to check out the seminars that seem to blossom around the time that the season comes on. Generally a lot of good information for very little cost plus you can put some faces to the call signs you hear.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Ray25XL, Double Haul,

Ray25XL; I am just across from the point at Beth Page, over on the north side of the creek. My pier is the one with the two sail boats. I have seen M&M many times, both underway and on the trailer going down the road; nice boat. Thanks for the offer to help, I will give you a call next time I see you. If you see any activity on the pier feel free to swing by I have 3ft at low water.

Double Haul; Thanks for the tip on the seminars, I had thought about going last year but my U/W schedule didnt allow it.

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts