Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend David and I were insane enough to leave the house at 10PM to target the high rise for striper. Nice thing is there is no crowd at the ramp at that time. There were about 50 rigs parked and out fishing at Kiptopeake.

The water was glass as we motored our way at night. Even with radar I'm overly caughtious at night and kept the speed around 18 mph. Air temps were just under 40 and water temps about 48.

I found a spot in about 23 feet of water and anchored up to drift eels around the pilings and light line. There were about 5 of us in a neet line along the bridge. The tide went from slack to ebbing to running fast when we had our first knock down. We had already retreated to the cabin as the wind had picked up. I snatched up the rod and started working fast as this line was farthest out and in danger of breaking off on a piling if a big fish took more out. I was hooked up for about 15 seconds when it came unglued. Excitement!

About 30 minutes later we had a rod tip dip and then around an hour before max ebb tide the rod down the middle with a 2 ounce inline sinker started clicking.... FISH!!!

My first impression was that it wasn't a large fish.... then it gave some decent tugs... then it didn't. The current was strong. When she got up to the surface we could see we had a respectablel keeper and got charged up.

We boated the fish and measured it at 42inches. Yeeee Ha!

The boat next to us got a similar size fish and the boat 2 down got 2 piggies.

The heater was on and we talked for the next couple of hours. I ran down one of my batteries to 9.8 volts with the lights and fishfinder on but fortunatley I was good and the other had been topped off that day.

OBTW this fish came in from the ocean... had the sea lice on it. Those 50 + fish are out there waiting.........

Richard

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
cool report/pic

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Congrats:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts