Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work has been killing me, so late Thursday after finishing a major project, made the Last minute decision to Striper Chunking Friday. Tried to put a crew together, but no luck. Posted on Tidal Fish and around 7pm got a voice mail from a relative newbie Rob, but could not get in touch after voice mails and text messaging, so not sure if Rob is going. Problem ibeing-you can't really Striper Chunk alone on my boat because I don't have a windlass, but decided to go anyway.

Up at 4 am, coffee with Sandy "Queen of Trout", my lovely bride, and started driving to the boat at 6 am on Friday anyway. Stopped at Pope's Bait & Tackle to pick up some lead. They have a great little tackle shop. While enjoying the fall foliage in the sun rise, I got a phone call from Rob and he is in-Cool Beans!!

Knowing Rob has never caught a striper-ever! :eek2::eek2::eek2: I assure him we will break the curse. We pick up the bait and ice and we are off to the MMBT on very calm seas, overcast, and no wind. Confident we are going to slay them, we set anchor is a favorite spot. Rob seems to be getting a few hits, but not hooking up. By about 10 am the skunk is still on the boat and he is making himself at home. We weren't even marking fish or bait. We move a few times, but still Zip, Zilch, NADA, Zero. So by about 12 we move back to the original favorite spot and we immediately mark fish and bait. About 15 minutes later Rob puts his first striper in the boat, a 27 3/4". Shortly after that we put two more nice 26" fish in the boat. Tide begins to change, so we switch sides and almost immediately put a 23" fish in the box and that is our limit. Head back to the marina around 2:30 pm, he helps clean up the boat and pay his share of expenses.

Slow day Striper Chunking on the Weekend Mistress, but we finally threw the big bad skunk off the boat around lunch time and finished up strong. It was a good time fishing with Rob and in the end everything worked out. Rob is welcome on my boat any time. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Tight Lines,
Kevin Smith
Weekend Mistress
CCA VA, CVSFA, SF, TF

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Those are some quality fish, Kevin. Glad ya made it out on such a pretty day. We'll be heading out to the CBBT tomorrow after 'em.

Ed

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Wish I was there...

Kevin,

Thanks for the report and invite. Those are some nice fish for a newcomer. There were some slow windy days when I fished on the other side between 10 & 12 Nevada in 35' and only caught 3 or 4, but they were all over 25". Glad to see you had some action and nice weather. I hoping to get out after the rain today, maybe tonight. Tomorrow, Sun. my neighbor with the dock& boat wants me to show him the ropes. Mon & Tues I got trips lined up. Tough life but someone has to live it. You know you are welcome to come with me anytime.

Good Fishin

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Kevin glad you got out there and got on some fish i was out there after work i looked for you out there but didn't see you id figure since you didn't get a crew together you weren't going. We only had 1 fish yesterday at 32 inches slow day for sure...Brandon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kevin Smith is the man. He got me on my first striper...that being 27 3/4ths. Can't beat that!! Also taught me a whole bunch on what to look for, how to set up the rigs and what not. Im going to put your knowledge to work and see if I can catch another two tonight. I'll be in the liz river somewhere around the churchland or westnorfolk bridges. Again, Kev thinks for the trip, you taught me a lot and rekindled another fishing addiction.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your First Striper

Rob,

I was really sweating it from 8-12pm, but when the tide slowed down the skunk was finally off the boat, even though it was a very short bite. Probably worked out well, considering your other committment.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Those sure were 4 great looking fish we caught. You are welcome on my boat any time.

How much money did you win on that bet??? :D:D:D

Tight Lines,
Kevin Smith
Weekend Mistress
CCA VA, CVSFA, SF, TF

PS Let us know how you do tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts