Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left the dock around 8am after fueling up the Weekend Mistress. It was a smooth ride out and the forecasted fog didn't really happen and we had 2 miles of visibility on the way out. Got to where we left them Sunday, 2CH bouy, and set out the spread. Wire on the corners on the bottom with a chartruse/green tomic on one corner and a red & whte on the other. White 8 oz June Bug parachute rigs on the gunnel rod holders and a 9" bunker storm up the middle. Almost immediately we had 3 medium knock downs on top and one tomic went off but nothing came tight and then it got quiet.

By 10 am we made a move out to the CBJ bouy (Actually we followed Louis on Hooked Up Out There :D ) and found better marks, more bird activity and immediately started getting knock downs, but again nothing came tight for a while. So we thought about what was successful Sunday and decided to crank up the trolling speed to around 3.5 knots and that was the ticket!!! We immediately started getting nice fish in the box at the rate of one every 10-15 minutes. Worked with the scattered birds to the south of the CBJ bouy and by 12pm we had our limit of 6 nice fish between 35-39" and we were throwing back 32" fish.

We grabbed some sandwhiches and beverages for a few minutes and decided to play C & R for a little while. So we pulled in everything but the 8oz white parachute rigs and proceeded to get single and double hook ups until 1:30 and our arms were ready to fall off. All fish came on the parachute rigs and were suspended at about 12'-26', the water temp was about 46 and the tide was going in all morning. Probably caught about 20 fish in total. The fish today & Sunday were fighting so hard the seemed like big blue fish. What a blast on medium tackle with almost no weight & WWWWWTFB.

Good talking to and fishing with everyone including Bill, Louis, John, Glenn, Kurt, Peter, etc. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Happy Holiday & Tight Lines to All,
Kevin Smith
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Several people taked about not getting good hookups today. Maybe they were also trolling at under 3.0 mph and/or had set the drag so as to allow the fish to take line. As for myself (and this is just my approach), I troll at a 3.0 to 3.5 mph speed and set the drag very tight. When a fish hits, the drag can be backed off a notch or two, and you can play the fish as much as needed to insure that you do not lose him/her. Usually get good hookups with this approach!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
WAY TO GO KEVIN!!! Glad you got on em!! We will be out there again on Saturday doing and eeling walk on trip......hope to see you around!!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot Something!!!

We were snagging bunker that looked just like larger Mann Imitators, Bunker Color.

Tight Lines & Happy Holidays to All!
Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great Job to the Weekend Mistress! Sounds like speed was the key! Thanks for the detailed report - sure helps Rookies like me! Always a pleasure to read your posts!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rokie II

Rokie II,

Are you that boat (Raballo?) out of Sunset Creek Boatel? That is where we keep our boat!

If that was you, we saw you headed out of the creek when we were coming back in yesterday. Stop by anytime you see my boat. Burgundy on White Sea Ray 250 Weekender with Burgundy Top. Always glad to share what I know with others because that's how I learned!

Kevin Smith
Weekend Mistress

PS You can be mail me too! :D:D:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep,

Thats me. Was heading out for some light trolling and to fish the light line at the MM. The light line with storms at the end of the outgoing got me my limit with a couple of mid 20 fish. I'll be looking for you at Sunset to say hi!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts