Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help comming from the cbbt going to the east are we using the colregs line are the territorial sea line?? Not a lot of difference at the Cape Henery side but a lot of water difference over at the Eastern Shore side. The invisible colregs line runs from Cape Henery light over to Cape Charles light. The sea line runs from just a little east of cape Henery light over to the eastern tip of Fishermans island. So the 64 dollar question is which line?Talked to the Coast Guard the other day they said the colreg line all the fishing card regs talk about the territorial sea line to the 3 mile line. It seems that i get more confussed each year does anybody know:helpsmilie::helpsmilie: the real deal!!!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It's the Territorial Sea Line, it states such right in the state code, 4VAC20-252-20.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I don't think I would want the type of citation that would have that code listed. :D It came from the game fish rules.

I made a statement a while back on fish measurements, which was based on the Virginia Code listed on the Saltwater Regs web page. I did a little checking later and found out that those were not all the words, only excerpts. So ever since I have just looked up the actual state code to make sure I didn't miss anything.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
pretty sad state of affairs: Need a law degree to interpret the rules and regs before going recreational fishing.....

now the col-reg and territorial sea line are debated??

I am almost to the conclusion that if there is a problem in a fishery, and it is recognized by all authorities and user groups...such as the long-standing , Atlantic bluefin tuna trouble and the steep Weakfish declines: a total moratorium should be declared until evidence indicates a recovery has been accomplished.

That is basically what was done with Rockfish. The fishery was totally closed and now that it has been declared a recovered species, we are allowed to fish under the most cumbersome of regulations.

A spring trophy season of 15 days (fish must be over a minimum size); then a month summer season with bizarre size limits, then a fall season inside the Bay that allows two fish if they fit a certain size(one large, one small, or else two small fish), then the season drops to one fish per man per day if it is not a slot-sized fish(prohibited); all the while one can fish in the ocean and keep two fish that are over 28 inches...; forget the slot size limitation if caught outside the Bay...but do not dare stop inside the Bay on your way back to the dock?

These types of rules and regulations will drive folks out of recreational fishing, or it will not set a tone condusive to abiding by the rules.

Do you get the message: Something has gone awry in fishery management and with the crazy rules and regulations that are based on MRFSS......most of MRFSS dockside surveys are not even begun until about May....

NMFS (and Virginia anglers) do not want to know how many Rockfish are caught in VA Territorial Seas (3 mile zone). There are a lot of large fish caught and NMFS pretends there is no recreational offshore fishery in Va in Dec, Jan and Feb... Obviously no one at NMFS reads the sportfishing magazines.

I repeat: NMFS has no trustworth data and managers rely on crappy MRFSS (data) to set these confounding rules and regulations under the guise of protecting a fishery that they really know little about. (Flounder rules and regs can be included in this attack on fish mangement).

Totally Disgusted: Bob Allen PSWSFA VCAC
Hampton VA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts