Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday Evening- Took a few friends out on my boat and decided to try around #9 in the Potomac. Right when we arrived the rockfish were feeding. Dropped the two lines in the water water(Green and White Umbrella Rigs)..only five minutes in both rods went down. There were so many fish under the boat that i thought that the fishfinder was repeating the same fish or just broken. We were fishing for only 30 minutes(were doubling up on each umbrella) and caught our limit..all the fish were over 21" and one 35" a monster.

Sunday- Went back out to #9 again and the action didn't change. Went out by my self and caught my limit in 1 minute. But they were only 20" so threw them back because i knew i would catch bigger fish. Friends came out and hoped aboard my boat and we fished for only 30 minutes and caught our limit and caught another 35"..

Caught well over 50 fish this weekend...would have to say that thisi weekend was probably the best rockfish catch of the year in my opinion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dog,
I think we heard you on the radio but there was so much traffic we couldn't get through to you. Were you in shallower toward the birthday cake bar? We were out right around 7 Sunday and heard you talking about fish breaking all around you and could only get the white umbrella in the water before a fish hit it!

We ran up to 9 and had a lot of action there too; but lost the 40"er! (see report)

Great day!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that would be me...I found huge group of fish feeding on the bottom feeding when i went out by myself and caught four fish and decided to throw the fish back and go back in to get more people on my boat..My dad owns a river house on the potomac river so i didn't have far to drive. but yep i found the fish breaking and was slatering them up between the birthday cake and #9 in 25ft-30ft of water. The best part of Sunday was surprising everyone on my boat how i get a 35" rockfish on board. Didn't have a net so i just grabbed the monster's jaw and pulled him out of the water and threw him into the boat. A HA! Caught so many fish that my thumb has a cut from the rubbing of the their teeth..If you every hear my out there just yell out..you know my name i think"FishDog"

Sorry to hear about the 40" that was lost...that has to be harsh..did you even see the fish because i had that happen once during the spring were i went to pick the fish up out of the water and the hook poped out. That really hurts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought I recongnized the name from the board.
I did not see the fish that broke off, but in the past few weeks I landed four fish in the 33" to 37" class and a lot in the 17 to 24" class. This fish was the hardest fighter I'd felt on there yet, it was on for a minute + or - and shaking its head hard, so I feel sure it was a big one. I guess, since it is still there, I might as well feel it was a 40" er, but who know's - could have been a 29"er with an attitude!

Was it you talking about not putting the license decals on your boat - afraid they'd be crooked. and the VMR got on the radio to say that they had to be displayed to be good.

Hey I know about bass fisherman's thumb. Just don't lip any big blues!

What kind of boat do you have?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea i had the decals on board the boat but couldn't put them on since the boat was already in the water(didn't want to get wet)..wrong thing to do i guess but there on the boat now...well i am a junior in high school so i am still using the the boat my father has bought for me to use. It is a 19' Robalo. What kind of boat do you have and what would be the name of you boat?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
been the best spring in my memory. great job!

Ahhhh high school... those were the days. "slaughter" [grin]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Fishdog, you actually did not slaughter nor slay all those stripers because you released a bunch of them, which was the sporting thing to do cause they will grow a lot bigger.

My boat is a Striper 2901 with twin Yamaha 225s named Miss Ellie after my mother in law! I answer on 16 (or 68 when fishing) to either Captain B or boat name.

I am envious that you are getting into this great fishing at a young age. I was a high school junior sometime in the 1960s, and the biggest fish I ever caught were smallmouth bass!

For the record, most of the time I end up leaning over the side of the boat and trying to apply the fishing decals so they won't be crooked.

I'll look for you on the water.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Rocksandblues, sorry I did not get by to eyeball your new Contender. How did you do (and the boat do) this weekend? I heard someone call for you on Ch 68, but did not hear you answer. There was so much chatter on 68 I usually just listened anyway!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well fishing wasn't a choice for me...i was born into it..i can't even remember how it got into fishing. All i know that i love it. But you right if i was throwing them back i can't call it a slater but i do want these fish to grow bigger. But i want to to believe that i have seen you boat before..you won't happen to come out of the Yecomico River would you?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am not in the Yeocomico, I am up the Potomac about 15 miles in the Nomini. There are a few other 2901s around the Neck. There is one in the Lower Machodoc for certain.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Beacon,

i should have trolled 9 when we were below you all looking for sea glass (made wife happy). We also ate at Evans on St Geo. Pretty good food. Kids were not up for trolling. It was a family weekend and we had another family down this weekend plus 2 other kids.

Boat did great! Put 6 hours on the engines and 2 or so on the generator and AC. Everything works well and the boat handles great!

Here is a pic of where we were often. Shark's tooth isl. I mostly messed around on the boat while the kids filled up cup after cup with teeth.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Beautiful boat! I also saw the photo on the Potomac Angler's Club site. What engines do you have on her? How about your electronics i.e. what kind of package do you have? Do you have radar integrated with GPS and fish finder/depth sounder or separate systems?

We have a house about 3 miles up the Nomini, so we are members at the island and often go there. I have seen folks croaker fish off the beach while the family is having beach time. Trolling can be boring for the little folks & wives. My wife will fish sometimes in calm winds and sunny weather; if the fish are not biting she loses interest in a hurry. She is just as happy exploring in the boat and getting a suntan. Our boys are grown up, but love to go out to the island in a runabout and wakeboard, tube andor just hang out and party. They will go fishing with me on occasion, but both have girlfriends who are not into fishing (yet).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
thanks
twin 250's
48mile raymarine radar. Nice color screen. It has integrated gps. separate Furuno gps and sep Furuno fish finder cant remember the model numbers but i really like them.

My kids 10, 8, and 6 really like the island and we are there most weekends. We will miss the next two but will be down fathers day weekend. Hope to see you out there. Our house is just up the Machodac near the new sports bar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts