1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Roller, have you seen this yet!
http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/vsrfdf/pdf/F77-R19Final.pdf
Look at item 20.
I did the calc and it looks like a 39" striper would be about 16.9 years old.
This would approx fall in line with the low spawn production in 1988.
and would explain why, we need to conserve the slot fish.
There are not as many stripers, that size to produce as many eggs , when that slot is the oldest \ biggest, major producers for that future years spawn,

Les

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Les, Good information. According to the report it takes seven years to reach 28". It also looks like the population of fish have continued to grow over the past several years. We've talked about this before but I bet there are others who remember the lack (non-existence) of striper here in the 80's.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Now thats a lot of reading.... Some notes for those who don't want to read 171 pages
p. 127 talks about how 1965-1972 commercial landings ranged between 554 and 1271 metric tons. It says that the recreational catch may have been equivalent to the commercial catch. It then says that starting in 1973 there were dramatic decreases in landings. I only point this out because our commercial and recreational landings are currently well within if not over the 1965-1972 numbers.
p. 136 estimated mortality of 2005 is .24... this is below the target of .27 set by asmfc.
I point this out because it shows that our population is still what the asmfc calls healthy. Not by much though.... 3 more percent and its gonna raise some eyebrows.
p. 153 this page goes into the reasons for mycobacteriosis in striped bass and one of the contributors of this is the loss of forage, then specifically sites menhaden, and goes on to say that mycobacteriosis may have affected survival rate of striped bay in the chesapeake bay by as much as 20% in the past 10-15 years.
........ I thought scientific evidence showed that menhaden populations were just A O.K.?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts