Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rough day fishing on my pier in Weems. Left Richmond this am around 4:30 to head to my house in Weems for sunrise fishing. Usually catch 8 to 10 fish each time just after sunrise. Ended up fishing on and off until about 3 pm. Probably spent 4 hours at it on the pier. This tiny guy below was my only catch. Only caught one small 10 inch striper yesterday afternoon after fishing 2 hours or so. Really getting concerned I may not see the larger stripers in late October that my neighbors have seen in years past around our piers. I did get a good laugh at least from this striper which made my trip back to Richmond a bit easier this afternoon.

On a side note, I did hook another fairly large speckled trout today similar to this past Sunday. Today's fish was about 5 feet out from the pier when I lost it. Are there any secrets to keeping the specks on the line? Glad to see these larger specks around my pier but it's tough to lose them. Today's speck took a silver L'il Bunker and Sunday's fish took a L'il Jimy Bucktail (both made by Specialized Baits).

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Specs have tender mouths. If they are lip hooked, as you play them a hole wears in their mouth. Any slack in the line and they will throw the hook. I release a lot of specs boatside by simply giving them slack.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There are a lot of small fish right now, but if you put in some time you'll get some keepers. Had a few off the dock in the last week up to 24" and lost one around thirty at the dock when my leader gave out b

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
One nickname for Specs / Sea Trout is weakfish. Heard it is due to easily tearing their lip.

If you think you have a Spec - play it gently and loosen drag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts