Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trolled the river from the cut channel to upriver of #8 sun. and mon.Caught one 23" sun and one 20" mon.Both on blue storm shad.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]slwhitt originally wrote:
try around number 8 on the urbana side in about the 40 60 feet water i always seem to pick some up there
[/Q]Yes, a great spot, if you don't mind crowds.[smile] Also holds flatties, when they're around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trolled above #8 sun and mon with no luck. The 2 we caught and released were just up river from the rt 3 bridge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was taking my first cruise on the Rap the other day and ran across a bunch of fish on my fishfinder about 100-150 yards from an underwater obstruction (? - 3 markers in a large triangle) off of Mosquito point. Is this a dangerous area to try and fish? I was in about 41' of water - how deep is it over the obstruction? Going fishing for 1st time Saturday.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I believe that obstruction is one of VMRC oyster reefs. I think you can fish around it but they do come pretty close to the surface so you might not want to go directly over it

·
Registered
55 Posts
did i read right that you said that was a good spot for Flounder aslo and what time of year the start to come in really good

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Cherry Point area gives up some flounder starting later in the month. Most of the fish caught will be undersized but you will boat a few keepers if you are presistant.[smile]

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Yes, the obstruction near Mosquito is an oyster reef, but it's been down about 8 feet for a couple of years. Suspect the storms spread the oysters around. I occasionally catch small fish off of it, but have never had a good fish from fishing there.

But the fish in 40 feet are clearly stripers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. I've drifted over the obstruction several times chumming and have only caught small blues and rockfish. There are sea bass in there too if you're willing to lose a few rigs.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts