Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I live in Maine and was curious as to what the striper fishing is like in the beloved Chesapeake. They don't show up around here Memorial Day, but most of us don't catch them until the first weekend in June. They last until shortly after Labor Day, usually put the equipment away just before apple picking. What type of bait do you use, what type of flies do you tie?

By the time they migrate up here, a "big" one is over 32", and it's pretty rare to get one over 40".

-Scott

·
Premium Member
26,141 Posts
We have a varied fishery. We get big Rock ( 36 to 50 inches ) in March ( C/R only ). April is now closed . May 1st some of the big ones are around but leave in a week or two.

Mid May until November - we fish for 19 to 30 inchers. Most are 19 to 26. Now / then a 32 to 36 pops up.

Some years in November we see big ones again - it varies greatly. Our keep season closes in December but there is limited C/R through winter.

Years ago my dad received a nice plaque from local paper - he caught a Rock each month of that year. Think he was around 80.

Sadly - our fishery is way down from 10 years ago. 20 years ago - IMHO - were the good ole days. Lots of Rock , all sizes - seemingly bay wide. Today I know some charters ran 25 miles each way to get Rockfish. Used to be 3-5 miles was a long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a varied fishery. We get big Rock ( 36 to 50 inches ) in March ( C/R only ). April is now closed . May 1st some of the big ones are around but leave in a week or two.

Mid May until November - we fish for 19 to 30 inchers. Most are 19 to 26. Now / then a 32 to 36 pops up.

Some years in November we see big ones again - it varies greatly. Our keep season closes in December but there is limited C/R through winter.

Years ago my dad received a nice plaque from local paper - he caught a Rock each month of that year. Think he was around 80.

Sadly - our fishery is way down from 10 years ago. 20 years ago - IMHO - were the good ole days. Lots of Rock , all sizes - seemingly bay wide. Today I know some charters ran 25 miles each way to get Rockfish. Used to be 3-5 miles was a long run.

I can’t believe charters in Maryland have to go 25 miles out that’s heart breaking. i Can’t fathom a striper that’s 50”, biggest I ever caught was 40”, damn near killed me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts