Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
they always come up the rivers at this time, people just don't go looking for them in here as much as they follow the coastal migrations but they follow the shad and herring and menhaden up the rivers to fresher water to spawn, but on the way they feed.....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Information above is SPAM!!!!!I don't doubt that there may be a few 60 pounders and maybe a 70 pounder around, maybe even caught in nets but the above post was designed to mislead and anger folks. Really makes the OP look foolish IMO. On another note, what is the difference in catching them commercially OR recreationally in Decemeber thru February in the Ocean and catching them in March in the bay? The same fish are being removed from the spawning stock BEFORE they have a chance to spawn, it is just they are a little heavier with eggs in March! Just my 02 cents. Bash away!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Information above is SPAM!!!!!I don't doubt that there may be a few 60 pounders and maybe a 70 pounder around, maybe even caught in nets but the above post was designed to mislead and anger folks. Really makes the OP look foolish IMO. On another note, what is the difference in catching them commercially OR recreationally in Decemeber thru February in the Ocean and catching them in March in the bay? The same fish are being removed from the spawning stock BEFORE they have a chance to spawn, it is just they are a little heavier with eggs in March! Just my 02 cents. Bash away!
Your Spam comes in a can. These fish were on the dock.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have seen personally 4 fish caught in nets set in less than 10 feet of water near the Surry nuclear power plant that went from 95lbs (smallest of the group) to 115 lbs...NO JOKE..its hard to believe that there are fish that large unless you see them 1st hand...my ex-brother inlaw was a commercial fisherman and he would tell me about all those fish stories, which were hard to believe since he was a little looney..seeing is believing...of course this was about 10years ago.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brn2furf,

You are quite correct, it is hard to believe that these fish are of that size. However, as a born and bred Hamptonian, I have seen these fish several times over my lifetime. Strange isn't it that some people just cannot accept the fact that they exist--they term you to be a liar just because they have not seen them for themselves. I just wish that I could catch one or two by hook and line. Still, even then, I would put them back in the water to continue there spawn run---producing several million eggs for future stripers.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I believe they exist. I have seen them. I believe that fish were legally caught in a gill net and they were probably large fish. I just don't believe that a signifiicant number of 60 to 70 pound fish were caught in a gill net as your post inferred. Did you see them weighed of did you use your "trained" eye? Your post was meant to be inflamatory. That was my beef. When do you believe should be the cutoff on when to stop catching fish before the spawn? When the rec season closes? How about December 31st? Maybe nothing should be kept commercially OR recreationally once the eggs start forming in the females because you are affecting the spawn.

·
Registered
294 Posts
tags

they got tags then they basically use them as allowed. i.e. Ryan Rogers and his crew aboard the midnight sun caught a boat load of fish from 44-52 pounds in the last week alone. Yes, the bay is closed to rec.'s, but he has comm. tags. www.fishmidnightsun.com

there are big fish around. do like ryan - show a picture. In this case I think the guys want you to show one or go home. Better have a tag on him too. Eggs or no eggs.

killin a fish two months ago or killing one last week is the same to me. If you have the tags, you have the tags - no problem by me.

There are some large fish out there for sure. If I had to guess, The state record will be broke again in the next 2-3 years by some unsuspecting angler.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I have no doubt that +80 lb fish exist in Virginia. I have even seen some in my lifetime in NY at fish markets and have come across one in the water. Nature is just hiding her prizes from all those who lack the deep and painfully acquired skills, the commitment, the obsession to delve profoundly enough into her secrets to discover how to catch these fish.

·
Registered
294 Posts
harlan, just in the last year or so, when I catch a large one and when I fillet it, then I skin it shallow to leave most of the blood line out. then I cut it long ways disecting the rest of the remaining blood line completely out. then I take the big chunks and butterfly them to be thin like the schoolies. I can cook both side by side and you can NOT tell the difference.

Now a big catfish.... then you got a serious case of mud yuck! but a striper - the big ones can be prepared on par as I have described. get some house autry medium hot breader and some old bay seasoning and it's game on with some 350 degree grease! yee haaa!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts