Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully planning to go out of Poqouson River on Sunday, weather permitting, and was just wondering if anyone has been seeing any schoolies without running all the way to CBBT? Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
When you go Sunday, how about telling the rest of the world if there are any Rockfish around? With the weather as it has been for two and a half months, very few have had good enough weather to venture out. And probably just as well with so little money for gasoline. Guess why Flounder landings are way down this year according to VMRC....I fish and live at Salt Ponds Marina in Hampton, and I can verify that there are few fishermen leaving the docks these days; the reasons are self evident.

I have rock fished for all my fishing-life and from a histoical perspective, it is a little early for rockfish to be schooling and leaving the rivers. Look for the trees around the BAy to turn red and save your efforts until we have a good frost , or the snow falls in New England. Save your gasoline and effort for mid November. Better still, save your money so when you get laid off you will have money for the boat payment or groceries.

Bob Allen Hampton VA PSWSFA VCAC

·
Registered
318 Posts
Some Schoolies should be around NPC shoals. Good class of blues have been around so make that your plan B. Bait they have been on is very small silver sides so keep baits small when casting for them. I would head to YS light and cast around the metal for a bit then see what happens. Schoolies might be mixed in deeper around the metal if you can get past the blues. We were into blues a little over a week ago raging from 2-7 lbs. I was throwing small epoxy flies and small sting silvers. I am out of Dare marina so the run is short. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Ditto on the big fish, wait until after turkey day then start hitting it. Water temps are droppign quick so we'll see if this remains true.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
My brother in Cape May went out last week. A 53 pounder was boated. Many "schoolies" in the below slot range. It's starting up there, add 3 weeks and we're down here if the weather pattern cools.

·
Registered
138 Posts
IDGARY
SCHOOLIES ARE IN THE RIVER FROM TABB LANDING TO THE FLATS. WORK THE DOCKS AND SHORELINE AT HIGH WATER. CANT BEAT LIMITS ON 3 GALLONS OF GAS.:rockon:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Like negative Bob (haha) said.......If trolling for schoolies is what you want, then try around bridge structure...SMALL and SLOW........they havent started their fall patterns quite yet around here....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sitting around and waiting is for the birds

I fish every week and have been catching nice 20 to 25 rocks around the rt3 bridge windmill and stingray... Blue fish are thick and theres still some spot and croker around. Look for specs in the shallows.. The fishing right now is awsome cause all the fair weather fisherman are home complaining about 2.25 a gal for gas. and small Rocks. use a light rod and jig some small bucktails.....its all good... If you can land some small spot... live line them and watch the reel spin... buy a smaller boat. and motor if the gas is to high. I run a 75 hp on a 16' CC.... burn about 5 galons for an afternoon. Fish hard or just wait for them to jump in the pot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts