Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the idea Capt Brady presented several years ago to convert the collapsible leaf baskets into stripping barrels was the best idea I had seen. I had a Flyline Tamer which I sold. Two of the barrels fit in my console or in collapsed form wedge in the stern on top of the two battery boxes on the Parker for travel. They work great.

Here is the problem. The wire spring gets lazy after while and the barrel does not stand up straight, plus more significantly, the wire spring wears through the material and protrudes. The Parker floor is very rough and wears through the material in less than two years. I used to tell guys to pick them up to move them and not slide them but have given up on that. In the heat of battle the barrels get sacrificed. They cost about $15 each and I have worn out four of them.

Capt Norm uses rigid Rubbermaid waste cans. They can be stacked but do not collapse. The would not fit in my console, so would be on the deck whether we were fly fishing or not. That is why I got rid of the Flyline Tamer. They would probably last many years.

Does anyone else have any ideas for stripping barrels, or should I just continue to buy leaf barrels?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Could you put a coat of liquid rubber on the bottom to help it last longer? Don't have an idea about the springs wearing out or through the sides. I'm not sure where to get the rubber, but read about it some time ago. I would like to buy someone as well, so thanks for the tread. By the way, where do you get your barrels - on-line or from a local store?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bill,

What didn't work with the flyline tamers? not as portable or cheap as the leaf baskets... Stan Pleskunas has barrels that are more custom fit as well that I've used with good success. What are the limitations cost/function/portability that are most important to you?

mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
Timeflies had a good idea. Get some Plasticdip or liquid electrical tape for $5.98 and paint it on the bottom. It's available in different colors if you want to maintain the boat's decor. I'm a little less sophisticated - I just used duct tape to cover the protruding wire.

Or.... find a circular, plastic trash can, laundry basket, or keg of the same diameter as your leaf basket and cut the sides down to about 2". Place (glue?) your leaf basket inside the plastic base. You'd have a sturdy, non-marring base that still allows you to collapse the basket.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave-

Mine are heavily duct taped now but that wears through also. Did not like the Flyline Tamer because two of them are in the way when not in use and the opening is too small for aggressive stripping. With two guys fishing, if you are on the down wind side, you must make strips as long and fast as your can. In those situations with the Flyline Tamer all my line wound up on the deck. With the leaf barrels I usually can hit the opening.

I am looking at The Bucket and may buy two. The drawbacks are they neither stack nor collapse and they are $169.00 each. If they collapsed I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Capt Norm's waste baskets are tapered and at least stack while not in use. He put cement in the bottom to weight. They are not round but apparently do not need to be. My non flyfishing buddies already rib me about having trash barrels in my boat.

I doubt Plastisol will hold up very long but maybe it would. I might try it. I really like the collapsible barrels the best of anything I have ever used. It is hard to see where the end of the spring is located on the bottom until it tears through. I guess the entire bottom edge would have to be coated on a new barrel. That could be quite a mess to do.

The barrels I use are purchased at ACE Hardware. If you do not see them get the manager to look in their master catalog and order them for you.

I think there is still room for a new commercial stripping barrel that collapses, is weighted, and has line separators in the base.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Bill,

I've been using one of these bags for almost 3 years.

http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/products/DW323.php#enlarge

It pulls double duty:
- used throughout waterfowl season holding my waders, the dog's vest and the long line anchors (keeps the sash weights from rolling around the boat).
- used as a stripping barrel in my Parker during the rest of the year. I copied the plywood and weedeater line contraption that Paxfish developed to keep it in place on deck.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks boon for the idea.

I like it. The vinyl around the base may help it last longer. I would probably cut off everything but the barrel itself and only use it as a stripping barrel.

·
Registered
576 Posts
if you leave the top mesh and draw string, you can drop the rod in, cinch up and run to your next spot.
Upon arrival loosen the drawstring and roll the top mesh over the sides.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be good. Does the top mesh fold to the outside? I cannot tell by the pic. Are they weighted or do yo have to weight them?

·
Registered
576 Posts
In the pic above, the shot in the upper right third shows the mesh rolled back over the sides.

Yes, you need to weight them. I used 3/4" tubing filled with #8 lead shot and epoxied it to rim of the plywood and weedeater line disk.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One word of warning !! I know a fly fishing guide on the bay ( who will remain anonymous) who lost a very expensive fly rod, reel and line from one of these stripping baskets.
Seems a client set the rod in the basket (as the guide instructed ) but failed to clear all the line from the water. As they were zipping along to the next great secret spot, the fly line stripped off the reel to the point were the water friction reached up and sucked the whole rod and reel into the bay !! Another $1000 sacrifice to the Water Gods !! I sure the unsuspecting client gave him a tip that would at least cover the damage ---yea right !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts