Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been trying to do a water pump service and a skeg repair on my 200 johnson oceanrunner but i,m having problems getting the unit to drop all bolt are out every one . The unit drops about 5/8-3/4 of a inch but thats all I can get Ive tried wooden wedges but it wont break free or either I,m just to afraid to wack on it any harder.Any body have any suggestions
Greg:hammer::helpsmilie:

·
Registered
559 Posts
There may be a locking pin or something on the shift shaft. Look under the front part of the powerhead inside the cowling.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive taken it off before when I changed the lower unit and the locking pin on the shift shaft is out thats if your talking about the one below the carbs. I honestly think the drive shaft is stuck in the bottom of the powerhead :helpsmilie::52::surrender:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ive taken it off before when I changed the lower unit and the locking pin on the shift shaft is out thats if your talking about the one below the carbs. I honestly think the drive shaft is stuck in the bottom of the powerhead :helpsmilie::52::surrender:
I think you are correct. Experience will tell you good mechanics have tricks that are worth the money in this case.(The price of a shaft + labor) Wish I could help you, but Good Mechanic is something I ain't. If it moves that much I'm sure you did but just for kicks, is there a bolt for/under the tab?:scratchchin3:
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
budc

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PITA Lower unit

Bolt under the tab is out I thinking about the wooden wedge method all they way around and leaving them in and maybe a day or two or unbolting the exhaust housing from the top to see if I have enough room to get some PB blaster in there some how .I dont wont to ruin the lower bearing and ad fuel to the fire

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't see where the wedges would hurt anything -- at worst the water pump houseing might get out of shape. It might be worth a try.

I sure wish I could tell you more, but I didn't see how he did the job. Another shaft was needed, a new seal for the power head which could mean he cut the shaft to get to the joint at the power head. A new seal could be heat used on the joint to break it loose. That the best I can offer.
I'm a fair 'shadetree' but I knew this job was out of my league -- I felt I would be money ahead to pay him than to buy all the parts I would have damaged trying to DIM.
:yes:
budc

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your help guys (yes Bryanfish shift pin out) I pretty much just put it back together I,m going to take it out one good day and when i return see if that helps with removal (getting everything up to operating temp
Greg:surrender::chugbeer:

·
Registered
563 Posts
It can take a lot of force to get the shaft out of the coupling on the bottom of the powerhead. When I had this problem with one of my 140's, it didn't drop as much as your's has, though. I used a thin pry bar, actually a bee-keeper's hive tool, but you can get the same thing at builder's supply place--it looks like a wonderbar only thinner and without the bend at the straight end. I managed to get it opened up enough to get a wonderbar in there, and just kept working at it. Wood shims certainly can't do any harm. Make sure you put grease on the splines when you put it back together. I change water pumps probably a lot more often than necessary, every other season, because I don't want to have this happen again. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts