Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Even though I love my homemade gaff (it looks surly) I went and got a net because it works better for flounder. Flounder can jump off it if you don't watch out. You can keep them in the net while you get your hook out and get to the stringer, etc.

2) I made a nice anchor shuttle and got a folding anchor and gave up my little Danforth. It takes up to much room. I tied the folding anchor at the bottom with a zip tie at the top so it can 'break away' if it gets hung up.

3) I got a $120 paddle to replace the $60 one and it does make a difference.

4) I got a dry rotted paddle leash for the 'break away' effect.

I guess you have to live and learn and watch what others are doing and decide what works best for you. I am not afraid to do exactly what others are doing if it is what works best.

Hope to get out there soon.

Tom

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
sorry about the last post, there was no text in the original thread when I pulled it up. If you get a chance, try a wing paddle. It takes a little adjusting, but it is more efficient. It also costs a lot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Hawghunter,

The $120.00 paddle wil most likely be made from carbon fiber. That means it will be very light and strong. Really comes into play if your going to do a lot of paddleing. Spend the money and get the better equipment.[smile]

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Lighter, more durable materials make a more expensive paddle better. e.g. carbon fiber vs. alum. shafts. Paddle with a high end paddle and you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the $120 paddle at WRO. I think it is fiberglass. The main difference I noticed is the blades are bigger and it is a little lighter. The other one was fine but this one is easier and I get a little more speed.

The net is a $10 net from Boater's World. It was meant to be a two handed net but I cut all but about a foot off the handle so now it is perfect for my yak. I put an extra PVC holder in my crate for it. I don't plan to bring it all the time but it is a must for flounder and trout (wishful thinking).

The anchor held the one time I have used it at HRBT. I got the larger of the two they had. If it ends up sucking that bad I will just go back to the Danforth, I know that will hold. I did like Calvin and put a short section of pool noodle on the end to wrap the anchor line on and to use as a float in case I have to dump the anchor and line to get out of the way of something or if I get a big fish on (wishful thinking again).

Hope this helps anyone trying to rig their new yak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.