Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down here in Fl right now and just got a report about a local guide that got stung in the finger removing a hook from a stingray . Guess this would apply to stingrays all over . He said like a dummy he wanted to save his rig . I hear now that he would have thrown all his tackle over rather than go through what he went through for one hook . .The pain was severe and his whole arm went numb and after a week he is still in pain.

The people who treated him said that if you get stung keep the area in hot water . This supposedly keeps the poison or some kind of protein from spreading .

His advice was Don't net them or bring them in or near the boat . Simply cut the line as far from the hook and fish as you can and rerig . What he went through is not worth the price of one rig . .

ALSO IF YOU ARE IN STING RAY WATERS ANYWHERE SWIMMING OR WADING THEY HAVE A THING DOWN HERE CALLED THE STINGRAY SHUFFLE . SHUFFLE YOUR FEET AS YOU MOVE AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL SPOOK THEM BEFORE YOU STEP ON ONE .
Another thing you want to remember down here is to forget your habit of thumbing them like a largemouth . Even if you don't see teeth these fish down here have all kinds of ways of hurting you . One guy even said he tried to thumb lip a grass carp and got his thumb sliced open .

Last year I grabbed a small 8" fish around the area just in from the tail .Soon after my hand was on fire with small needle pricks . Some of these fish have things called Skutes which run down the back lateral line . I understand that the fish called Crevalle Jack has spikes by the tail too.

Just some info to file away if your ever down this way .

Tony

Tony

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Show Compassion

Rays, Skate etc. can inflict Life Threating Problems --Take a Turn on the Nearest CLEAT when close to Boat's Transom--Take long handled gaff & use as A In water de hooker on lure --Do not Kill or Maim GOD"S Creature --geo.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When unhooking these pesky beasts, I've always done it while they are upside-down. Their tails can't stink going downwards.....cause the stinger is on the topside. Thus, while upside-down, they are trying to sting the deck. Plus, this exposes their mouths for an easy hook removal.

I've caught too many Sting Rays to admit to, but have never been stung.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hey man where in florida are you? im in kissimmee and go to school at marine mechanics institute. i moved from baltimore. My friend and i were going to cocoa beach pier every weekend and catching sand shark pompano sugar trout? is what they called them greenback herring although havent caught them in 3 months or more and actually caught a baby grouper last trip along with whiting,spot,croaker,bluefish. my friends also caught pelicans too lol. some came off and some he had to cut the line. 1-2 rays are caught just about every trip. Do you know any other good piers not too far away? i dont have a saltwater license and florida charges 47.50 for out of state.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was stung in the ankle by a stingray when I was 12 or so in Hatteras, while wading into water neck deep. My father thought it was a jellyfish and threw me his chewing tobacco to place on it. Little did he know...it was a stingray and when we drove off the beach to the doctor's office in Hatteras, they placed my huge foot in a bowl of as warm of water as I could stand to draw the poison out. The pain is intense as it can be, but the warm water to the stung area of the body is definitely the trick. I wouldn't want to get stung again. More importantly...I hope they keep the beaches open and free to drive on down there. Too many childhood memories that took place driving out there.
www.ncbba.org www,obpa.org

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was stung when I was a teenager in the knuckle area of my middle finger and it HURTS! Went to Dr and he updated tetanus shot, cleaned the wound and told me to hold it in HOT water for at least and hour as the heat breaks down the poison. Few days later I was back to normal. He said it would be bad if the poison gets into the joint, which it didn't. I didn't ask why....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went out today around Boca Grand and we got 7 - 18" +/- sheephead .using live shrimp . I had a small container with my bait in it and I tried doing what a guy told me . I poured a little bit of Doxey clam juice in the bucket . We had about 20 throw backs and I beat my partner 3 to 1 . Looks like the juice worked . .

Wouldn't you know it he hooked a large stingray . It's swimming around with 4 ' of line hanging out it's mouth . Never again will I dehook one ..

We also caught some nice grouper /Out of season now .. Also some snook / Their out till Sept and maybe even till next year.

Also some spanish Macks . Their starting to show up now .

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
kids want to mess with then on bottom trips. if i know its a skate the line gets cut. i actually had a father semi-mad at me for not netting the beast so the kid could take a closer look at it.

when i explained what happened to the australian dude he understood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts