Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a LTJ fisherman and use spinning tackle rods 6-7 ft; reel sizes 2500 and 4000. Last year, I wanted to try using a baitcaster for jigging and purchased the Daiwa mega cast w/ twitchin bar, which, although i have not used it much, i like it becuase it has the left handed retrieve, similar to all my spinners. Are there any differences in the round body style baitcaster vs the low profile freshwater type baitcaster? Last weekend, I purchased 3 smaller 'LTJ' baitcaster reels at the Pasadena show: 2 abu garcia's round bodied reels and i older Diawa traditional style and wanted to know advantages/dissadvantages?
Thanks - Cory

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I use both round and low profile BC's. If I want raw power for casting heavy baits and big fish, I like the round 401 Calcutta TE's. For casting lighter lures the Curado 201's are great. The Curado's are very low profile and are easier to thumb and more comfortable to wrap your hand around. The differences are subtle. The Curado 301 has almost as much grunt as the 401 TE but is lower and lighter. It all depends on the size of the lures, type of lures, how far you want to cast them and how big the fish are. The low profile Curado's are a little easier to cast backlash free than some of the round reels. The reason for this is the spool is very light and it has less start up inertia.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
in my experience salt is hard on conventional tackle but for jigging you will not do better than with a good levelwind

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I have used a daiwa megaforce for two seasons now and have caught a fair number of stripers upto about 43" on it. It has held up fine other than the crappy twitching bar which corroded and I had disconnected. The reel was given to me by my father. Keep in mind that I dont use my light tackle stuff nearly as hard as many Light tackle die-hards here on TF as also like to fish using other methods throughout the year. However, I am probably going to get either an Abu Garcia Orra inshore or Revo S as I dont think the megaforce will hold up to saltwater over the long haul. I spool my lighter stuff with 15lb power pro.

I also have a number of round baitcasters, like my favorite Penn 965. The advantage to the round baitcaster is that it holds a lot more line and used to hold more drag (newer low profiles can hold some drag though). I use my round baitcaster for livelining or chunking big rockfish as the bulkiness of the heavier weight is less of a concern. It is also good for casting big heavy plugs around coastal jetties too. However it is also a great real for fishing for flounder in deeper water offshore, wreck fishing, catching some smaller fast fish like bonita and albacore, etc.. I have mine spooled with either 20 or 30lb powerpro.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
A small low profile baitcaster is excellent 4 the times when u need to palm the reel, like when working a jerk bait, or popping a jig. I almost exclusively use a low profile baitcaster when striper fishing. Low profile reels also tend to have externally adustable brakes (cast control) which is very handy and the spool release is typically a bar across the spool itself making it an easy cast after cast deal.

Like Wild Bill said I also have round baitcasters (penn 965, Abu) that work well for larger swim baits, flounder, and tog fishing. I don't know that all but most larger capacity round reels have the levelwind engaged at all times, even on the cast. The certainly helps w/line management on the spool although u probably lose a little on the cast due to it.

A larger capacity low profile baitcaster I really like in my shed is this one from BassPro. Plenty of a$$ 4 rippin tog out of their domain and casts like a dream.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have a couple Abu 6500 C3's that i use for various things..............can't cast them worth a damn though, haha. They are great for floundering and jigging heavy stuff that doesn't require long casts (at least for me).

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
there is a procedure to adjusting BC reels based on the weight of the lure being cast. If you change from say 1/2 oz to 1 oz lures and donr adjust, you could be in backlash city..

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have entered a new world of bait caster which I will use for deep jigging with butterfly jigs. Just ordered a Fin Nor Marquessa lever drag which delivers up to 18lbs. of force on strike and up to 41 lbs max drag during the fight 6.1:1 retrieve. Steve Fogle built me a one of a kind deep jigging rod but I could never get the right reel on it. This outfit is lighter than most set ups to be used for Amberjacks, big Grouper, and Snapper and big Sharks. I will spool it with Mono then 50 lb braid.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Once I fished a Calcutta 201 and 251, there was really no other choice. First I was totally impressed with the castability, fishing a 1.5oz Hopkins knife handle jig I was able to out distance my spinning reel buddies by 50%. Then I hooked a sweeet 40" striper, man oh man, that Shimano drag, smooth as snot on wet ice. All my low profile baitcasters were destroyed by CBBT stripers 8 years ago when there were still fish there, the Calcuttas just keep going. YMMV.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Low profile reels don't hold enough line.:D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have both the Shimano Curado low profile 200 and 300 models. If you use braid for LTJ, live lining and drift fishing like I do, the reel capacity should be plenty. With 10-15 lb. test, I believe the smaller 200 model will hold in the neighborhood of 250 yards of Power Pro. If you want to use mono, the capacity would be closer to 150 yards. Unless you decide to use it for Tarpon, when would you ever have a need for more? The Curado 300 model is only slightly larger in size but the capacity at those test weights is significantly higher. I love the low profile for casting. It is strictly personal preference. The traditional round bait casters will also serve your purpose well.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Calcutta 150s and 250s are great round reels. Smooth, strong, good casters.

I have some low profile reels, but always go back to my round ones.

-TH

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I bought a Calcutta 150 a few years ago at one of the flea markets and its turned out to be one of my favorite reels. I'll be adding the 250 asap.

In most cases, it comes down to preference. Find a few you like and happy fishing:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts