Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My diving friend Tim lives in Crisfield but was going up to Frederick for a few days. Since he would be passing Sandy point - agreed to meet me Tuesday morning to go dive for lost shotgun.

I got there at 9:00 - Tim on pier with dive gear. Original plan was for Tim to help teach me about dry suit diving but my back was not 100% , and my other friend could not go to stay top side.

Tim is very experienced muck diver - he laughed at this being only 8-9 feet of water , but also took it seriously. We ran south to the GPS numbers - surprised to see crab pots still in the shallows. I took time to put marker buoy about 30 feet off area I had searched on Friday. I was 100% sure I did not miss the shot gun. Tim geared up as I side scanned area - seeing nothing but sandy bottom. Water was 49*.

It was different being top side / diver tender - I doubled checked Tim's gear and we discussed safety of getting the loaded gun on board. Tim went over - I noted time ( 10:01 ) and moved boat about 100 feet away.

May be an image of ocean

I watched Tim's bubbles with binoculars - seeing him go clock wise in an expanding circle search. Circle was getting bigger - 10:30 , he was down half hour. Tim came up - gave me an OK signal and swam to marker jug. I watched his bubbles go straight - laughing as I figured he had dropped the wreck reel line.

Saw bubbles continue the circle - then stop. My hope was Tim had found gun - but then bubbles came straight to the marker. He was reeling himself back in. It was 10:45 - as Tim surfaced with the shotgun.
May be an image of body of water and nature

I pulled anchor and idled back slowly. Tim carefully handed me the shotgun - I swung barrel away and drained it over side.

May be an image of body of water

I laid gun on a towel and helped Tim climb in. Dry suits require much more weights than wetsuits - not easy getting back on the boat. Tim had pulled the center rod from bottom - made it easy to pull up. Tim teased me - could have gotten me closer - lol. I gave it back - saying he still had 50 feet of line left on spool to search. Tim said he was just about to give up when he saw the gun - what good luck. It was actually well off where I had found the anchor - but it was recovered.

While Tim got out of gear - I carefully flushed the gun with few gallons of fresh water - then dried it off. Called owner - he was thrilled.

No photo description available.

Set course east to channel edge - figured we would troll for Rock. I was liking Tim's dry suit - he was not cold at all. Can not wait to get diving in mine.

Got to channel and put 5 rods over - 4 tandems and umbrella on downrigger. Zig zagged along seeing few boats on east edge. I normally do not chase boats but this time of year when few are out - 5-6 boats together often means something good. Mix of LTJ and trollers - no one getting too close. Meter lit up and Tim reeled in a fat 22 incher. He had teased me he was a Jonah - but that fish proved otherwise.

We circled area few times - getting an 18 incher that went back. Trolled into a tide line full of leaves - had to pull and clean all the rods - leaves on the weights but lures clean. Zig zagged north and one rod got crushed. Tim was reeling it in just right when hook pulled. Damn , I'm guessing a 30 to 32 by way the rod bowed.

We trolled up to #88 - talking dive stories and planning a few bay adventures. Got back to ramp about 3:00 - Tim headed up to Frederick. I called gun owner - he met me at my house. He wanted to get gun stripped down and cleaned / oiled ASAP.

It was a fun day and another chapter for my dive book.

· Premium Member
26,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crabby - I thought about testing magnet too late. I'm thinking they had snagged on a few small clumps of oysters - mistaking that for the shotgun.

Tim found it about 75 feet away from where the magnet grabbed.

Rock n Load - Yes , it was different being on the boat.

· Registered
260 Posts
I've never dove in the bay. I usually stuck to Florida or various islands where I could see as far as the sharks and barracudas. I played around Piscataway Bay a few times. I haven't been to Savage Quarry in 35yrs. I remember chasing the crane boom as far as I could go. Crazy pressure swings there. I'm looking at a few 1-2liter setups just to have. Air pumps don't look too expensive and I could set it up in an inflatable and tow it around.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
LOL, know of a guy who called his 10 ga shorty double Moose [email protected]
My dad has a pair of some sorta Italian double barreled 10ga that he calls the Blunderbuss, lol. The last thing he'd tell people is DO NOT PUT BOTH FINGERS IN THE TRIGGER HOUSING! Famous last words for the neighbor, who on one particularly misty day, made the mistake of touching off both of those barrels with my father's hand loads he affectionately called dynamite sticks. I moved away because I was in line with him going ass over tin cups into The Susquehanna about .0001 seconds after he touched them off, lol. Needless to say that the trip was cut short and he missed with that piece of artillery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts