Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time I have wanted to set up a soft crab operation. I finally got it going after many years of procrastination. I set it up Sunday and stocked it with 14 peelers. Yesterday I shed my first crab. In fact 5 crabs shed. I have the set up in my garage. I have no intention of selling soft crabs. They freeze well and the plan is to keep a ready supply for the family over the winter. I have a free supply of peelers. Water Fluid Liquid Flooring Fish

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Closed systems are a lot of work. Get a test kit and test it daily. When they start dying mid slough, your ammonia is too high. You can use ridx but that’s just temp fix. I know a lot about them, I ran a few myself when I was young. Good luck

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
It takes everything a crab has to slough. So everything has to be perfect and when you get it perfect. It’s a great feeling. Also, leave them in the tank for about 45 mins to an hour. Don’t pull them immediately

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting river water was the pain in the ass. Because iof a steep hill leaving the river I can only fill a bucket half way. So several trips were necessary.
I just put another dozen peelers in. That will do me for awhile. Don’t want to overcrowd things. I told Jack to return his next catches to the water until I need more.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,058 Posts
If you're gonna do this long term, invest in a hydrometer. A swing arm hydrometer is accurate and cheap enough. As water evaporates, the salts and solids stay behind. A small change in salinity is a recipe for disaster.
Here's a pic of one of my reef tanks.
Flower Organism Plant Pet supply Marine biology

1 - 20 of 62 Posts