Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TFers,

Sandy & I would like to start taking the occassional Saltwater Fishing Vacation outside of Virginia and need your help.

We are very seriously considering a week of Halibut & Salmon fishing in Alaska, but it is about $7,500 to $10,000 for the two of us. (Yikes!) This year the HVAC system at home may need to be completely replaced & upgraded, which is about the same price as the trip to Alaska. (Double Yikes!!).

Please take a moment to share your suggestions and share information about trips you may have taken, so we can have some alternatives to Alaska? Any and all suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. :yes:

Thanks,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Heat in the winter and cool air in the summer is a must have Kevin. Alaska fishing trip is a dream I have as well, hopfully we both get there. But a Vacation is always well needed. You have many options, and I think you can accomplish both. Just need to down size your $$$ in your Vacation plans. Worse scenerio, you and Sandy can come down to Hatteras this summer and I'll take you out for a weekend get away.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Alaska would be the trip of a lifetime if you could get the price about half that.
Why not fly to Miami,rent a peanut shell with four wheels and and roam the keys,islamarada for a couple nights then drive to key west for a couple nights then work your way back up. Everyone speaks English ,almost,and a lot of the guides are from here. You would have less chance of getting ripped off by a bad charter as if you whent to someplace like Mexico or a non English speaking country I have found. NOTHING worse than booking a charter or a day of fishing and although you were assured the crew speaks English you show up in the morning raring to go and the crew politely smiles at everything you say with a nod of the head and then after you leave the dock NO UNDERSTAND , Mexico, never book anything out of the back of a resort.
Yep I'd try the Keys.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think that there are only two or three places that can compete with the fishing we have here. Florida, Louisiana, and Alaska. I hope to make a trip to Alaska one of these years. Here is a link for one of the lodges I have been looking at in Alaska: http://www.queencharlottelodge.com/

I will be taking the much cheaper Florida fishing vacation this year with a charter captain out of Tampa. Let us know what you guys decide on. It would be nice to hear from someone who has been to Alaska's QCL too...

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey kevin contact TRUESERVICES 757-717-8330 for your hvac, 7,500 sounds awful high to replace a unit, uv light filters will take care of cleaning duct of mold and bacteria. hope everything works out for you and the wife

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Kevin,

I know you said saltwater but you can always go back to your roots and enjoy a week in the North Country for alot less $$. Go after the Canadian Grand Slam at a lodge in Ontario. Before my son lost his battle, I was able to get him up to a nice lodge northwest of Ottawa and had a great week. We got three out of four; no muskies. It's a good summer option that you can drive to.

For saltwater, I'd love to explore the South Carolina & Georgia inshore areas. As I fly up and down the east coast, those backwater inlets & islands look terrific for the redfish. Not much to do besides fish though and bring the repellent.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
keV,
Years ago we took a week in the amazon For Peacock bass. It was AWESOME! If it get's to cold at home you and Sandy are welcome to cuddle up here with Elroy!!

Don't put off today what you can do tomorrow, you never know what's around the corner .

G

·
Kevin - Alaska hands down on an awesome experience. Did it as a cruise out of Vancouver which had stops along the way where you halibut or salmon fished or walked around these little towns looking at totem poles or shops. Cruise ended up in Seward and we stayed an extra 3 days (since we were there anyway). Ultra clean Holiday inn Express right on Seward harbour. Salmon fished our butts off just inside the straits and did a full day halibut trip which was awesome. I'm a big guy but after the second halibut out of 150' of water, I put the pole on the rail and just cranked and cranked....big secret from the locals....salmon fish before you do the halibut trip and when they clean your salmon save the belly strips that they usually throw away...its a fatty strip maybe 12" long but you put that on a BIG hook and drop it down to the halibut and its eaten before the dust settles. AWESOME!!!!!!

The cruise and fishing didnt run us $10K. And its a great way to see Alaska. Too bad they wont let you troll while they are headed North. Definately take the northbound trip and fish at the end. They ship all the fish back for you too....My wife is not an avid fisherman by any means but she killed spinning rod fishing for salmon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will second the idea for a Canadian trip - either "drive-in" or "fly-in". I am partial to a fly-in trip, and have taken many where yours is the only cabin on a lake filled with lake trout, pike, and chunky smallmouth. Truly a great trip, and not nearly as expensive as Alaska! Check out L & M Fly-in Outfitters & Gateway North Outfitters (The Adams) www.lmflyin.com , www.gatewaynorthoutfitters.net. Awesome people and an awesome experience. They even have a few cabins with flush toilets to please the missus.

For saltwater variety on our coast, it is impossible, IMO, to beat the Keys.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
TOPSAIL NC. its affrodable , the fishing is Outstanding on the surf, sound, inlets and any Charter you take out of the area rather Inshore or Offshore will be Awesome..
May not be far enough if you considered Alaska but its pretty close and not Life altering on your wallet.. I've benn out with the Same Guide 3 times in the new River
( Ricky Kellum) he is a Fantastic Guide and knows where to go .. Hell The town there is Named after his family ( KELLUM, NC)

Its not over run with Tourist either,,, most beaches have only Private access..

Belize if you got the cash best bonefishing anywhere amongst a lot of other Species..

Have all fun no matter where you Go

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Belize or Costa Rica would be my choices...especially Belize, you can flats inshore behind the cayes (pronounced KEYES) for world class bones, snook, tarpon, permit and then go outside to 100+ fathom drop offs to fish for tuna, mahi, sails, within a mile or so of running...

BTDT to Belize, haven't made the CR trip yet... and I hear CUBA is opening up soon...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Really depends on what you and Sandy want to fish for. Offshore/nearshore/bay/troll/bait/fly/laidback/off the beaten track etc...
Give us some suggestions on what you would think you would like to do.
By all accounts Alaska sounds awesome.

H.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
There are so many different options and deals right now especially with the economy they way it has been. if it were me I would wait on the Alaska trip buy the needed HVAC and take advantage of either a great deal that falls in your lap or just drive down to Hatteras and do some fishing down there for a few days... just a thought.. Beth bmail sent

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fly to Anchorage, rent a motor home, drive to Kenai River, camp for a week = $3000 for 2. Fish for salmon with a guide for three 1/2 day trips = $900. Fish the Kenai and Russian rivers by yourself the rest of the time. General Misc and other expenses = $1000. If you go at the end of July, you will catch all the red salmon you can legally keep.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mexico is always affordable and you will catch fish. Mazattlan, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Isla Mueres are all great places. Have been to all of them and caught many different fish. It will not break the bank doing it in the process.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts