Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have some suggestions on books they have enjoyed on fishing/ conservation /the Bay, etc? I need some more reading material!

Here are some to get started:

“The Secret life of lobsters” -Trevor Corson ( see previous post)

“Men’s Lives” Peter Matthiessen

Been a long time since I read it but it’s a history and portrayal of a disappearing way of life of the Long Island haul-siene fishermen. Some great stuff on the battle between the recreationals and the commercials. How the bluefish disappeared for a forty-year stretch and tidbits about like how striped bass used to be a trash fish!

“Chesapeake” -James A. Michener

An oldie but worth mentioning if there’s anybody who hasn’t read it. I found the decriptions of the changing bay ecology, crab mating,etc much more interesting than the "story" though. Made me wish I lived 100 years ago.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's a little old now but the best thing going is "Song for the Blue Ocean" by Carl Safina. My all time favorite is "Alaska Blues" by Joe Upton but it is long out of print. Current and offbeat but OK in my book is "Fishing the 41st" author forgotten (its about freshwater trout fishing so off topic). There's also "Following the Run" or something to that effect by Benedetto that is about striped bass.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Striper Wars: an American Fish Story: by Dick Russell

I didn't start fishing in the Bay until the end of the moratorium, so this was a great book for me to learn what lead up to that decision, various coastal states positions the ASFMC, etc. Counterbalances the recovery with a very dire outlook for striped bass in the future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A couple very good fishing books that touch on conservation

1) Linda Greenlaw - The Hungry Ocean
2) Douglas Whynott - Giant Bluefin

A book somewhat similar to Striper Wars with more history

John McPhee - The Founding Fish

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"The Philosopher Fish: Sturgeon, Caviar, and The Geography of Desire" -- by Richard Adams Carey

History and biology, Poaching, international smuggling - pretty facinating stuff. You'd think it was cocaine not fish eggs.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The Oyster Wars of Chesapeake Bay" -- by John R. Wennersten

Whew. Man, what a sad and tragic tale. Police boats sinking oyster dredges (now called "Hand Scrapes") with cannons and machine guns? That s#*t's CRAZY! Really eye-opening about the rape of the resource and the mistrusting, non-cooperative ( or at least highly disputatious) nature VA & MD legislatures ( as far as the Bay goes).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool. I'll check 'em out. I'm just starting "Wetland Riders" by Robert Fritchey, about the recreational conservation movement from a commercial perspective.

I must confess I've never read "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson (or have forgotten I've read it) so that's on my list as well.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Griz

Ditto for Sand County Almanac for general conservation. Also, Wilderness and the American Mind by Roderick Nash.

My ultimate favorite book about the ocean:
The Ocean Almanac. It'll blow your mind. Sub title is "Being a Copius Compendium of Sea Creatures, Nautical Lore, Shipwrecks........" I can't remember the rest. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's a great book for the sh*tter too. Amazing stories of floods, shipwrecks, weird sea creatures, pirates, name it - it's in there

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The End of the Line: How Overfishing Is Changing the World and What We Eat
by Charles Clover

A european look at international fisheries, but goes into great detail on teh Northeast Cod fisheries collapse, and the unsustainable world-wide harvesting of Bluefin. Eye-opening to say the least.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex,
Philbrick, Nathaniel

The best survival book I have ever read. Also a great history on whaling and is the real life events that inspired Moby Dick. Reads as good as Jaws.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.