Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the family down to the 'Banks in late June, and we want to do some clamming. Does anyone have any reliable locations within, say, 30 minutes north or south of Nags Head?

Also, what would be the expected surf catches in late June, given the somewhat cool, prolonged Spring we just had? Blues/Kingfish/Spot?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also thinking of taking a kayak and paddling off the beach a little ways to get out past the second bar. Is that worth the trouble? Or do the fish tend to cruise the surf zone?

I don't know much about surf fishing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
ABSOLUTELY take the kayak!!! Hit the triangle wreck and the Huron wreck, both are only about 250 - 300 yds off the beach. My son and I just hit the triangle wreck last Sat. Water was too cold for the trigger fish, did catch a couple seabass. This was more of a recon run for the summer. Triangle wreck is just South of the 2nd st. beach access, line up the radio tower between the 5 and 6 condo (Scrimshaw) out about 200 - 250 yds Big Big wreck. 2 ships and lots of debris. Huron wreck is at Bladen st. beach access out about 300 yds, harder to find as its kinda small. Line up with the yellow house and straight out a little past Nags Head pier. Sometimes its marked with a crab pot buoy. Let us know what you did.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Be careful when coming back in, set just short of the breakers and wait for the "set" of waves to go past and then GO!!!! Watch the waves coming up behind you, don't let them catch you or they will turn you and you will turtle. If one does catch up, jump out and hold on to the rear of the kayak. Might be a good idea to make a test run without fishing gear, my son in law found this out the hard way. :)
Fish do hang around real close to the shore right at the drop, cast out and work your bait back slow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've kayaked out and back in through the surf before, I'm cool with that, I've just never actually fished off the beach before. I'm using either a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or 15, I have both (plus an 11) just not sure which one I'll take. Leaning towards the '15 right now, just because it rides the highest and self bails the fastest/best, which will help after a surf launch where I expect to get at least a few waves over the bow before I get past the breakers.

The nice thing about OC Tridents is the rod pod hatch where you can keep all your gear INSIDE the hull, until you're in position to safely get it out. That was a huge factor in choosing this kayak. Two years ago I got pinned and had to bail out while running Balcony Falls on the James River (not enough water for the line I took, bow got pinned, boat rolled). I had all my gear IN the hull instead of in rod holders at the time, and that saved me hundreds of dollars in lost rods alone. That one roll alone paid the difference between the OC and a cheaper boat.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep they are nice, give us a fishing report when you get back. Trigger fish should be here once the water temps get to 70.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Second paragraph was asking about surf fishing, 3rd post was about whether to bring kayak or not, no one responded about the clams and away it went from there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I still need a clamming spot, LOLz!

In digging around, I found a guide service that will actually take a party of folks clamming out in the sound. Might be a good half day trip for the family if the cost is reasonable. I dunno. I'd like to do it on our own before resorting to local talent.... BUT, I also wanna get some clams and make some memories, so maybe it might be money well spent....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can you share the name of the guide service?

·
Registered
197 Posts
the sound side in nags head is to brackish. you gotta go south. i've clammed around oregon inlet and never done anything. we took the kids down to hatteras and found a great spot for clams and for kids. between frisco and hatteras- look on google maps. there is a parking area right beside 12 on sound side. park there and slip down one of the paths. sandy, great area for kids. parking lot i think is mainly for beach side people but you probably see a couple people over there wading around. its a good spot to take kids and if you have a couple rakes you can get 5-6 dozen on the low tide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts