Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for some electronics:

I'm bringing a 22' center console up from the west coast of Florida for spring striper season. The boat needs a ff/gps/cp.

I'm looking a something like a garman 178c.

Just a few questions:

1) Is in better to buy a all-in-one unit, or separate devices?

2) What brand would you recommend, stay away from?

3) Id like to keep my entire electronic cost under $1000.00.

Thanks!!!

dwk

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too when throught this process over the last month. The 498 is the best combo IMO out there for the price in that size screen (5"). I was looking for a screen alittle larger b/c I like to run & fish in the split screeen mode so I choose the Lowrance LCX 28C, with all the maps on the hard drive. It has a 7" screen and was a super all around unit under 1,000.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 498C is a great unit. I have one on my boat and it works well. If there is a West Marine near you, buy it there. They will do price matching if you take them a screen shot of a web page with a price on it.

Take this page in a get a good price on the unit

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-GPSMAP-498-Color-Chartplotter-Sounder-Internal.asp

If you don't know about West Marine's price match policy, they will drain your wallet when you shop there. They will match any competitor's advertised price.

- Ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too when throught this process over the last month. The 498 is the best combo IMO out there for the price in that size screen (5"). I was looking for a screen alittle larger b/c I like to run & fish in the split screeen mode so I choose the Lowrance LCX 28C, with all the maps on the hard drive. It has a 7" screen and was a super all around unit under 1,000.
Are you happy with this unit? Thinking about getting the same one

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looking for recommendations for some electronics:

I'm bringing a 22' center console up from the west coast of Florida for spring striper season. The boat needs a ff/gps/cp.

I'm looking a something like a garman 178c.

Just a few questions:

1) Is in better to buy a all-in-one unit, or separate devices?

2) What brand would you recommend, stay away from?

3) Id like to keep my entire electronic cost under $1000.00.

Thanks!!!

dwk
On a boat that size I prefer an all in one unit. The 178c is a decent box, but the 198c comes with charts for the whole US built in -- which actually makes it cheaper. You should be able to get a 198c for well under $1000...

TED

·
Registered
614 Posts
The 498C is a great unit. I have one on my boat and it works well. If there is a West Marine near you, buy it there. They will do price matching if you take them a screen shot of a web page with a price on it.

Take this page in a get a good price on the unit

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-GPSMAP-498-Color-Chartplotter-Sounder-Internal.asp

If you don't know about West Marine's price match policy, they will drain your wallet when you shop there. They will match any competitor's advertised price.

- Ron
You know, I've never understood this. West will hose you unless you go somewhere else and properly document that there are others willing to sell for less. So, instead of buying from the guy who is trying to be competitive, you reward the guy who is trying to hose you every chance he gets rather than the guy who is trying to work with you.

FWIW, I bought at the GPSStore.com. They gave me the price and they got the business because of that...

OK, I just had to say that!

TED

1 - 10 of 10 Posts